Advice on a Medium range scope

Dannyd

I belong to a gun club that has a 400 yard range. Ive been doing OK with my 3-9 Nikon Prostaff. NOW, they have opened up a 600 yard range.

The game has changed

I have a 7mm Rem Mag. Finances dictate that this gun will be used for hunting and target shooting at the range

I am looking for a scope that will serve me well in a hunting situation where shots will be 1-200 yards with most under 100....and....enable me to punch paper out to 600 yards.

9x is not enough and i dont want to have to holdover on the paper.

Unfortunately, i also can not spend a lot of money. Can anyone suggest a scope that can do the job i am describing for under $300

I really enjoy shooting long range at paper. But if this can not be done within my budget then so be it

Thanks for your help

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 with BDC, $306.00
I have one with a side focus and absolutely HATE the paralax (crosshairs wiggeling when I move my head) but the clarity is great. I would recomend getting the 4.5x14x40 with the A/O for fixing the paralax issues. for the price range you described its hard to beat.

If you can step up just a little bit in price, the Burris 4.5x14x42 P/A (paralax adjustable objective) with the B-PLEX. I swear on mine. I use it on my 270wsm with great results. Just dial the wind, and learn your poi vs what the stadia lines are set at. Mine is Very Very close. I would highly recomend this over the Nikon, for ruggedness, and 0 paralax issues, plus it has standard stadia lines, not those darn circles for hold points! (I hate those things).

Some thing you might want to look into is a vortex rifle scope. I found one of their
6-24x50 on sportsman guide for $134.00 and I absolutely love mine the adjustments are true and repeatable,the glass is as good as my leupold VX 2 and although it dosent have all the bells and whistles is works like its supposed to everytime. I think it is a cross fire model. Hope this helps

I was in the same situation. My experience had been this I've owned 3 leupolds all rangeing from $250-$600. I went on 5 outstate hunts. The problem was At that last minute of shooting when the deer, and hogs came out along the wood line I couldn't see the game and defenatly couldn't see my crosshairs. Now do the math 5 hunts at avg. of $1800 a hunt= I was screw because I couldn't see. Than discovered Swaro and than even better S&B. So now I can see, now I can shoot. So you have to ask yourself whats going to be cheaper. If I had gotton a Hawke scope for $129.00 it has mildots on it. for the 3x9x40 that it is I can't tell any difference at low light when compareing it to my dads 4.5x14x50 leupold. This isn't my main rifle Somethinf I just got for plinking,but if I had to get an affordable scope I look at some of the cheapest ones till you got money for a good scope. To me at these prices there all the same. Thing to look for a afforable scope are the adj. knobs be one peice with the tube. If there the glued on type heavier recoil could knock them off when shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.