Advice on 338 lapua 285 eldm

CNY Yote Hunter

Hi all, new member here from upstate NY. I'm in need of advice on loading for a 338 lapua as this is my first time loading for one. I've been reloading for over 20 years, mainly 243, 308, 223 etc. Anyways my load is... nosler brass, 91.5 retumbo, 285 eld m projectiles. I'm reading a lot of comments on CBTO at 2.740-2.750. When I seat them at that spec it almost puts the ogive into the neck! Is this normal for the lapua? My COAL is 3.565 The powder isnt compressed at all but it just seems off to me. Anyone loading for this have any advice? Thanks in advance!!

What is your setup? Factory chamber? How long is your chamber from the bolt face to where the ogive would meet the lands? I'm assuming you want it to be a repeater? Have you tried taking it out any further? You don't really want the the boat tail much south of the neck shoulder junction if you can help it but with big cases, long bullets, and wanting a repeater can make it difficult.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! My setup is the new Ruger RPR. I have not measured to the lands yet, I did get out today and let off 20 rounds. Only at a 100 yards though cause the wind was about 20mph today. Anyways that load I tried with my CBTO of 2.740 shot excellent. After zeroing I did a ten shot group, 1/2 moa all day if I did my part. Had 2 pulls out of that group that opened it up to almost an inch. Will say this, I definitely need some trigger time behind such a massive cartridge cause I definitely anticipated the shot. Lots of practice to follow. I had another guy respond and say his RPR he loads CBTO 2.96 if I remember right and said he still had quite a jump to the lands. He was only able to load the 2.96 cause that's all the mag will handle. I will get a measurement tomorrow and post it .

My guess is you won't reach the lands and be able to mag feed. It's not the end of the world. At this point your accuracy seems pretty good. You're just chasing speed now.

Yeah I was impressed cause usually it takes a couple loads to find the sweet spot but I'm in good shape so just minor tweaks now. Chrono showed pretty good sd from 9-16, didn't do an average cause those were the first rounds and I wasnt that concerned with it yet. More or less feeling out the rifle on the first outing. I'm interested in knowing how you guys deal with mirage at longer distances, I've shot to 1k a lot and run into issues with mirage on not so hot days. This will be the first rifle I'm looking forward to stretching out to 1500 and beyond when I get my practice in. My scope right now is a vortex viper hslr 6-24-50ffp. I know it's a lower end scope compared to nightforce, schmit and bender etc but it is the most reliable scope I've ever used and the glass is pretty **** amazing in my opinion. Is the scope part of the issue with mirage and if not what can I try differently or do to make it better if anything? All help is appreciated, happy to say 1k and beyond is a new venture for me!!

I'm reloading for the RPR in .338LM. In my rifle, 2.91" CBTO reliably fits the magazine but leaves a jump of 0.08" to the lands. I measured a representative sample of projectiles and found 0.856" ogive to tip. You should have plenty more room.

My brother has that same scope on his .338. There is no shame in that game. I liked using it.

Thanks! That scope is my go to for a known good scope. It has never let me down and tracks perfectly. Thank you for the info on your CBTO, I still havent got around to any more loading or measuring yet, work kills all fun for me this time of year!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.