Advice, new custom rifle

I would go with the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM pushing the 162 Amax or 180 Berger VLD or Hybrid. This year I have shot 2 antelope, one deer, and a few coyotes past 500 yds. My wife and I have taken over 13 big game animals with the rifle in the past 3 years, all with excellent results. You can search my user name and find all of the threads with many pics.

Not sure what you plan to hunt, but the 7mm is hard to beat. I have been thinking about a .284, which can push 180 Bergers at close to 3000 (or eveb more ) in a long action with around 55 grains of powder. It is inherintly accurate and fairly easy on barells.

for Deer and under: Lazzeroni 7 Tomahawk just to be different. For a moderate round, it's hard to beat the BCs of the 7mm bullets outside the .338s.

for shooting Anything- 338 RUM or similar in lightweight package with a healthy brake.

That said, I wonder what the most effective (recoil reduction) brake is for ~100g of powder that will fit on a barrel whose tip is .649". My wife bought me a small, 3-port APS Painkiller for my lightweight .338RUM build for Christmas. It's tiny; much smaller than I expected. I hope it works well, and would've purchased the medium but it wouldn't fit my barrel.

If you're only going to 500 yards on deer and smaller sized animals, I would go with a 6.5 something. More than enough bullet and less recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.