Advice needed with ladder test

Mc Fraser

Hello,
I am playing with my Tikka T3 in 270 Win and I need your input on a ladder test that I've done a few days ago.
What are your thoughts on the next step?

pictures

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2578 (1).JPG
    IMG_2578 (1).JPG
    780.7 KB · Views: 248
It's hard to tell you what to do without knowing which shots on the target correspond to the powder charges and velocities. Can you mark that on the picture and then repost it?

Well looks like I have to redo the test, I didn't mark the shoots, I was under the impression that velocity is the only factor.
And yes it was done at 100yds

Agree with others when stating back up and redo ladder test. I like to do ladder at 500 yds. More than likely you will find node at 57.8,58.1,58.4.

If for some reason you can not redo ladder test than begin with below.

Then I would shoot five shot groups with each charge at 500 yds and find which group has tightest vertical spread. Take this charge and begin seating depth test at 100 yds. Just my way.

Last edited:
Many people do it many different ways. My way of doing it is do a seating depth test at 100 yards. Find the best seating depth and then do a ladder test with a chrono. Take the results from the ladder test and then fine tune the powder charge from the best results I had with the ladder test.

But it is pretty difficult to find any useful information from a ladder test done at 100 yards. At the very minimum, do one at 300 yards If that is as far as you can get.

If all you were doing is looking for velocity changes, then you wouldn't need a target. You could just get down and shoot them into the dirt. You color code them or mark them and take the chrono readings and compare it with the target.

at 500 you have to much influence from wind
and you so not know what power scope or what rest he has.
the OBJECT of the test is ammo and gun, not shooter.
the close nesting of your shots at 100 is a problem( actually good), but you need to back up, 200 will do.
shoot each load one time mark the spot on a clean target at the bench.
you are looking for a tune spot. a node,
look at the shots in clusters,
small group with little to no vetical
Agree with others when stating back up and redo ladder test. I like to do ladder at 500 yds. More than likely you will find node at 57.8,58.1,58.4.

If for some reason you can not redo ladder test than begin with below.

Then I would shoot five shot groups with each charge at 500 yds and find which group has tightest vertical spread. Take this charge and begin seating depth test at 100 yds. Just my way.

Thank you all.
My Tikka T3 is built for hunting at close range, I shoot a 140gr Sierra Gameking and use a 2-7 power scope, the clip is build to SAAMI specs, which means I can't play with seating depth, any cartridge longer than 3.300in won't fit. On top of that past 500-600 yds I wont have enough energy to take a deer down ethically. It's all good, that is exactly what I need from my rifle.
My inexperience says I might have a node at 57.8, 58.1, 58.4, what if I load 5 each and try it at 200 or 300 yds? I'm not experienced shooting at 500yds and I'm afraid I'll induce human error.

A few things that are weird about this test, there are 11 holes in the paper, but I shoot 13 bullets, I watched all over the wall and I couldn't see any other holes.
After 59gr the velocity drops, how is that even possible?

Last edited:
I'm breaking in my barrel with cheaper cartridges: I'm shooting <1MOA at 100 yards with non-match at this point. The barrel should be good by the end of the next range session. The issue is one of the five shots is flying way out of group: it's completely random: I was able to determine it's not me throwing the shot. I also verified that the ammo is not consistent at 100 yards. My question is this: I really want to test my new scope for tracking, should I test at 50 yards to eliminate more environmental and load factors? (it should get me to 1/2 MOA consistently) Or should I test at 100 yards with match grade ammo? My scope is Mils: also wondering how many clicks I should use in that it's 1/10 per click? I'm thinking ten clicks @ 5o yards elevation tracking? Not trying to hijack OP, please disregard if it's an issue. TIA

probably 2 bullets in one hole...not uncommon, and esp when doing a ladder at too short a distance.
and your target is not FLAT... too many wrinkles and not a good backer. take a flat pc of cardboard with you next time.
skip the group shooting till you KNOW what happened in the ladder.

Thank you all.
My Tikka T3 is built for hunting at close range, I shoot a 140gr Sierra Gameking and use a 2-7 power scope, the clip is build to SAAMI specs, which means I can't play with seating depth, any cartridge longer than 3.300in won't fit. On top of that past 500-600 yds I wont have enough energy to take a deer down ethically. It's all good, that is exactly what I need from my rifle.
My inexperience says I might have a node at 57.8, 58.1, 58.4, what if I load 5 each and try it at 200 or 300 yds? I'm not experienced shooting at 500yds and I'm afraid I'll induce human error.

A few things that are weird about this test, there are 11 holes in the paper, but I shoot 13 bullets, I watched all over the wall and I couldn't see any other holes.

Thank you all.

Velocity can drop with a higher charge because the bullet is becoming unstable and can start tumbling or wobbling in flight. Equate it to a football

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts