Advice Needed on New Press.

I understand what you guys are saying for the most part. The more I studied the Co-Ax type press, maybe a little play is o.k. My biggest concern with the ram is that when the press handle is lowered, there is excessive play in the toggle that allows the ram to physically rotate counterclockwise when viewed from the top. That can't be good. As far as the lateral play in the ram, I'm not sure how much that is contributing. When I mentioned it to RCBS, he was concerned enough about it to send me a new ram.
Play in the toggle doesn't influence run-out. It can influence shoulder height and seating depth, but usually doesn't.

In the Co-Ax, deviation isn't influenced by ram extension; it's determined by bearing tolerance solely.

I'm wondering how the RCBS person could determine how the ram part will solve your concern. I would want to determine bore wear, uniform the bore by honing, and then see what size ram would fit properly.

BTW, how do Jackie's presses do with production dies reloading for factory chambers? You're not getting the whole picture.

Last edited:
"What the brass experiences is determined by the force exerted by the user and the amount of deviation. At what point does it not matter?"

It doesn't matter at the top of the ram's stroke when the "work" is being done. At that point the toggle pins and ram center are, for all practicle purposes, in line on the same plane so the axial force you're concerned with becomes trivial.

Mr. Clark's excellent post and photo is "expert" confirmation that ram slop, of itself, can actually be helpful when loading with threaded dies in our presses.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts