Advice Needed on Bipods

Goofycat

I am looking for a quality bipod for coyote hunting. I use mainly benchrest rifles with the wider beavertail forearms, and the bipods I have seen on the internet seem to feature products that open (such as Stoney Point Shooting Stix) up only to reveal a very narrow "Vee" at the top. This would work for narrower stocks, but not for my wider McMillan stock. Also, I would ideally like to be able to attach the bipod to the stock so I can pick up the rifle and stock simultaneously while hunting, then remove the bipod to make it easier to walk.

I would like something light, easy to carry, easy to attach and detach from the stock, and with legs that aren't flimsy or that aren't easy to adjust. Also, the legs should stay put and not slip when telescoped into position.

I plan to visit Cabela's next month in Arizona, but would like to cover my bases in case they don't offer anything that would work. And......are there any products that you would not advise?

Seems to me that there was a thread on bipods somewhere either on Long Range Hunting or 6mmBR, but I can't find it.

Did you look at the harris bipods that attatch to the sling post, thats the nice thing about the sendero as they have two sling studs on the forearm part of the stock. Caldwell also makes a pivoting bipod. But it seems that the harris bipods are by far the most popular, cabelas sells them.

I tried a Stoney Point rapid pivot folding pod this weekend for coyotes and it worked way better than the Harris style for me.
I can't get a Harris that is high enough to shoot sitting on a hill side, the Stoney Point was perfect, I could swivel all over the place and put the legs any where I liked then just pop it of and move. It isn't quite as solid as a Harris but it is more usable. You adjust the height by spreading the legs in and out so no fussing in and out with the legs. I have only used the for a dozen stands or so, it seems a little flimsy but I think it may hold up better than I first thought, my gun is 12.5 lbs and it seems fine.

Terrific! My heavyweight weighs in at 14 lbs with scope. I shoot from a sitting position with my back against a rock tree, bush, etc., and wanted something that could raise the rifle to shoulder height. The 9-inch Harris bipods are good for benches or perhaps prone shooting but way too short for sitting shots. Which model do you have? Is it as you described: the "Rapid Pivot Folding" model, or is there a specific model name I should look for. I am going to Cabela's in Phoenix in a couple of weeks and hope they have a full line of bipods.

I just ran across a product from Ultrec. It is a bipod that features a head that swivels 360 degrees. Is this feature really desirable for a bipod? Seems that it would be, but I have never shot with a bipod, having always rested the rifle on my knees.

Seems to me that barrel-mounted bipods would not be good if the rifle were used for bench rest competition, but I don't see where it would affect varmint-type accuracy, unless the shots were long ones. Sometimes you can go crazy with trying to get groups in the ones with a varmint rifle, and even crazier when you don't get them. Frankly, I was raised on bench rest and find it difficult to get out of that mold, even though MOA accuracy should be fine for all but the smallest varmints at long ranges. I don't care about 1/2-inch groups at 300 yards. If I can kill ground squirrels (about the size of a tall beer can) at that distance, I really don't care if the bullet hits the neck area when I was really aiming at his eyeballs. The results are the same: red mist! Besides, without a spotter, it is a waste of my handloads to try to get this type of accuracy with the guns I use in the windy conditions I usually find myself in.

Better late than never, if you haven't purchased a bipod I would suggest the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod. Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Bipod Sitting / Kneeling
I have used a harris for a long time as well as the stoney point steady sticks and various knock offs and home-made jobs as well. I think the Rapid Pivot system is far superior in its versatility than the other bipods out there. I bought the sitting/kneeling one for calling and the prone one for LR shooting. Switching them is a breeze and between the two you'll never need another rest when hunting.

Better late than never, if you haven't purchased a bipod I would suggest the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod. Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Bipod Sitting / Kneeling
I have used a harris for a long time as well as the stoney point steady sticks and various knock offs and home-made jobs as well. I think the Rapid Pivot system is far superior in its versatility than the other bipods out there. I bought the sitting/kneeling one for calling and the prone one for LR shooting. Switching them is a breeze and between the two you'll never need another rest when hunting.

Thanks for the info. Is this the model that can be attached to the forearm sling attachment for shooting, then easily removed after the hunt? The ideal bipod for me would allow for easy carrying, easy attachment, tilt left or right, rotate 360 degrees, be easily adjustable, and be long enough (around two feet or so) to allow shooting from a sitting position. Also the legs would have to be sturdy enough to not bend under the weight of my heavy bench rest rifle. Price is a consideration also. If the Rapid Pivot Bipod fills the bill, I would definitely be interested.

Sounds like the rapid pivot bipod is what you're looking for. Pick one up you won't be dissappointed. Shop around though, I got mine from optics planet with a coupon. 39 bucks is about average I think I paid 34. Midway has it for 44. The sitting/kneeling one is the one that will fit your needs the best.

I checked out the Stoney web site. They offer the pivots in several different heights. I will probably go with the 24-36" version for coyotes, since I shoot sitting down (who doesn't??) with some type of bush, rock, etc. behind me.

My buddy slung one of those under his 11 lbs gun last weekend for some coyote calling and it worked very well, I'm running the folding version and it has legs like arrow shafts but is sturdier than it looks but after swiping my buddies for a stand I like his better, way sturdy but still swivels and moves with you very well, you wouldn't be disappointed in it for coyote calling it's the best I have had for that.

You should check out the atlas bipod. They are very sturdy although a little pricey. A guy had one at the local range last weekend, I ordered one as soon as I got home...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.