Advice needed, am I being ripped off?

hillsider69

I am from outside the USA and ordered a custom rifle to be made and exported to me (no problem with getting that done, it just costs). I visited the gunsmith when on holiday in Feb'08, was happy with what I saw and paid about 1/3rd the cost as deposit, being told it would be " about a year". Well my emails are not replied to, spoke once and told its "coming on"; but most times "he's not there".
I should be back on holiday in the US in 4 weeks. I NEED this weapon!!
ADVICE PLEASE.

I am from outside the USA and ordered a custom rifle to be made and exported to me (no problem with getting that done, it just costs). I visited the gunsmith when on holiday in Feb'08, was happy with what I saw and paid about 1/3rd the cost as deposit, being told it would be " about a year". Well my emails are not replied to, spoke once and told its "coming on"; but most times "he's not there".
I should be back on holiday in the US in 4 weeks. I NEED this weapon!!
ADVICE PLEASE.

I understand you not saying who the smith is, but my thought is perhaps one of the guys hear knows him and can give some insight. Did the smith give you any kind of a date for completion in your last conversation?

Steve

I did not want to put a name up that will then stay there "forever", unless things get real bad. We were on holiday in Salt Lake and it was about a 3-4 hour drive north and west into the next state. If anybody knows him that should be enough. When I ordered it he said about a year, well now its 99 weeks. When I got back to SLC I found the estimated shipping date was the same as the order date?? An error or what?
He would not give a time scale when I called him, even though I pushed him. Since then I sent him details by email as to the possible barrel screw cut for sound moderator, which of course we all use here (UK) for hearing protection as well as group improvement. I have filled in the web pages on his site as well as sending emails. Next will be a fax again. Its going to be a pain in the bum, but I can see that I'll have to take a day out of my holiday to go up to see him. That is if I can get him on a day hes in!

There is another aspect of needing the weapon asap. We get guns on our license on a need to use approval basis. This was a 9" twist 243 for use on roe deer. I am restricted in what I can get by the police and licenses are for 5 years with a use it or forfeit it basis. My renewal is this summer, so if I do not have it, or proof that its more or less on the way then I could end up with no 243 on my ticket!!! The only way round it would be to go and buy another 243 pro tem': but naturally I would like the right bit of kit.
As a point of interest, all guns used in the UK have to have been thru' an approved test house. There are many around the world that are ok, eg all the EC countries, Russia !!, turkey etc but NOT the USA. So when I get the beast it has to go to a test house (more money) within 28 days or its a criminal offense to own or use!! What a nanny state this is!

If anybody whats more details then please send me a private message if you can and I'll send more "non public" info.
Thanks for the help.
Andy

Last edited:
It sounds like it's been close to 2 years since you physically were there and saw his business. I'm hoping this isn't the case but, maybe he's out of business and doesn't want to come clean...are you sure that what you saw was your rifle being built. Did this smith come reccomended to you??? Hate to say it but, I've seen businesses take folks money knowing full well they can't deliver...big companies too...alah Circuit City last half 08' Maybe the smith is just real busy or recovering from something so work output is slow. Puzzeling as one would think return calls would be possible...That's the concerning part. Hopefully someone know who the smith might be and can check into otherwise I think your on target with going and seeing in person what's going on.

Last edited:
I'd suggest US gunbuilders are some of the biggest liars on the planet,,, But I found (again the hard way) that Canadians are even worse!

It's sad for ya
You deserve better

t sounds like it's been close to 2 years since you physically were there and saw his business. I'm hoping this isn't the case but, maybe he's out of business and doesn't want to come clean...are you sure that what you saw was your rifle being built

That is correct. It was then that I went there, looked at the guns he was making and placed the order and left the deposit. So it was not my gun there then. I called from home a few times and when in the US last year and since then, and emails. I'll be going there in 4-5 weeks and see whats going on and decide on actions.
How long would you normally expect to this process to take? The rifle was a bolt action short barrel "bush gun" with interchangeable sights.

I have had problems with smiths here, a 6 month shotgun restock took near on 2 years!

Gunsmiths take a lot of time off around this time of year. I have an action and a barrel at a SLC gunsmith right now that has been there since early summer and I haven't been able to reach him for a month! I'm not worried cause this is the 4th gun he has done for me and it will be right when it gets here.

Just impatient I guess. Is the gunshop in Cottonwood Heights?

to answer your question. It shouldn't take 2 years. I think Kirby Allen at one time mentioned at that time that he had got his lead time down to about 14 months but, understand he is a premier smith with alot of business. How long the average person here on LRH waits I can say with any confidence but, I'm guessing a year give or take a month or two.

Gunsmiths take a lot of time off around this time of year. I have an action and a barrel at a SLC gunsmith right now that has been there since early summer and I haven't been able to reach him for a month! I'm not worried cause this is the 4th gun he has done for me and it will be right when it gets here.

Just impatient I guess. Is the gunshop in Cottonwood Heights?
No south Idaho

Hillsider69, I live very close to where your gunsmith lives. I also have a house up by him that my son and daughter live in. Next time I'm up there, if you would like, I could politely inquire about about the statis of your gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM Hillsider69. I'll bet things will work out with this smith. I don't know him personally but I'm very impressed with his work. Let us all know how things work out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.