Advice for hunting coyotes close to a house

Bran743

Hey all. A friend of mine is having trouble with coyotes eating his animals. I went out today and tried to thin some out and didn't see anything except a fox at about 40 yards.

I borrowed a FoxPro from another friend and was playing the jack rabbit in distress for a couple minutes then silence for a about a minute. Rinse and repeat for 45-minutes to an hour. Then total silence for 30-45 minutes.

I finally heard coyotes at close to dark and my buddy that owns the house saw one on the edge of his yard but by the time I got around to where I could have seen it his dogs were barking like crazy and scared it off.

Am I using the call correctly? This was my first time hunting coyotes and to be honest, I don't have any idea about the right and wrong way.

As far as places to setup, they options are limited. The property is mostly wooded and the neighboring properties are just as wooded. So no matter where I setup I'm no further than 100 yards or so from the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

With wary coyotes, I try some of the oddball sounds, vole distress, bird distresses, or consider what animals are getting eaten. Chickens? Try a chicken distress. Lambs? Lamb distress, and so on. And if those dont work.....this time of year, try a lone coyote howl, and see if they hit you back with howls or barks. Then hit them back with a challenge bark/howl, and see if you can get one angry. If you can get a dog challenge barking back, keep it up, and there is a good chance it will come in, but be ready, if they come in to this, they are usually running and on the fight and it happens fast. If that doesnt work.....try the kiyi, or coyote/coyote pup distress. I rarely leave a set without running a kiyi, and many times when everything else has failed and been fruitless, a kiyi gets me a dog bouncing in with its ears high looking for whats up.

Then, split their ears.
FB_IMG_1551375140892.jpg

Hope that helps!!

I'm not sure of distances but sounds like your coyotes may be close, so start out calling quietly. I like using a mouth call mouse squeaker. Good idea codyadams about using sound of what they are eating, a cat call works too.

Read the thread Coyote Hunting Tips. Lots of things could have been wrong. How many Jack Rabbits have you seen in his back yard. The above tips, mouse squeaker and whatever he is eating sounds can be good. In this situation I like to set up my electronic call the night before hidden in a small brush pile. Sit away from the call. Then pay special attention to the last post on Coyote Hunting Tips.

If there close start with something quiet and gentle. Vole squeaks, wood pecker in distress seems to bring them in. Don't be afraid to change it up after 5-10 mins. Go to eastern Cotten tail. Try anything. But I never leave a stand without playing coyote pup in distress 3

They are eating his chickens and ducks. I don't think there is one of those on the caller Im using. I tried the loan howl a couple times but never got a reply.

Codyadams - Did you blow the eyes out of that coyote???

I did look it up and apparently it is OK to use a spotlight as long as you use a .22 rimfire (Does that seem odd to anyone else?). I'm going to give that a whirl after this cold front comes through.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will let you all know how it goes.

I think you are miss informed. I ask a Oklahoma warden. He told me no night hunting. I thought that was wrong since I have friends who hunt raccoons at night. However, I wasn't going to disagree with him.

I think you are miss informed. I ask a Oklahoma warden. He told me no night hunting. I thought that was wrong since I have friends who hunt raccoons at night. However, I wasn't going to disagree with him.

There are a lot of game wardens out there that don't understand their own laws they are being paid to enforce. Its unfortunate but true. I have found these guys to be pretty accurate when it come to coyote rules by state:
https://www.coyotehunting101.com/coyote-hunting-oklahoma/

Codyadams - Did you blow the eyes out of that coyote???
Hit him just above his left eye on a downward angle with a 60 grain V-Max going about 2900, the eyeballs are from all the pressure of bullet expansion cuasing them to go all looney toon ha ha.

Definitely try the wounded coyote pup distress before you leave a stand, it comes on every foxpro. I know you can get checken distress, but don't know if it comes downloaded.

Oklahoma says no nights with 'otes. My State looks at depredation differently. Whether Oklahoma values chickens and ducks and whether you can elicit help from a local game warden is another matter.

A lot of Wildlife Departments like to lecture stock owners about making it harder for the predator to get at the domestic animals and that is not all bad. The owner might consider such a move as even if you get this coyote there will be 8 or 10 more with the same ideas. Now if the owner gets frisky they might rig a live trap enclosure to trap predators as they attempt to steal one of those domestic birds.

This is ornery but some will risk one chicken wearing an ankle bracelet if you will and a rope or chain tied to a tall fence post attached to the bracelet.

The chicken seeing a predator approaching jumps on top of the post and the coyote has to hang around to see how to get the bird down. A hunter in position has a bit more opportunity to bag the offender.

Three44s

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.