Advice for a fixed 1x optic for a ML rifle

dave300

Hi all,
My Hunting buddy was just medically approved for the use of a 1x optic on his muzzle loader bull hunt coming up in a few weeks and I am only able to find the Vortex 1x Crossfire II and unfortunately is shown as discontinued.
The use of a red dot is appearing to not meet standards.
So, I am looking to purchase one or gain any suggestions?
thank you

What did you end up doing? I'm having a little difficulty with this same thing. I have put out feelers and have got a few responses. Some know what they have and are kind of proud. I had picked up a WGRS sight set up but my eyes are not really liking that. I'm attempting to make a fiber optic insert for it using .019 green fiber. Just waiting on the parts to get here. I have a LER scope on it but think the parallax is too bad being close to my eye. Not consistent enough. I had bought a red dot but its two moa and I think it suffers from the same problem, not consistent enough. I even bought an accesory so I could mount the red dot closer to the muzzle. That got me 3" at 100 which is good enough for deer but it looks out of place on a muzzleloader. I'd be happier if they just made us all use iron sights. You know, like the old days. I did purchase an old Weaver K1 off the bay so I waiting to see if it has some promise.

What did you end up doing? I'm having a little difficulty with this same thing. I have put out feelers and have got a few responses. Some know what they have and are kind of proud. I had picked up a WGRS sight set up but my eyes are not really liking that. I'm attempting to make a fiber optic insert for it using .019 green fiber. Just waiting on the parts to get here. I have a LER scope on it but think the parallax is too bad being close to my eye. Not consistent enough. I had bought a red dot but its two moa and I think it suffers from the same problem, not consistent enough. I even bought an accesory so I could mount the red dot closer to the muzzle. That got me 3" at 100 which is good enough for deer but it looks out of place on a muzzleloader. I'd be happier if they just made us all use iron sights. You know, like the old days. I did purchase an old Weaver K1 off the bay so I waiting to see if it has some promise.
We have not came up with a solution, or at least one that is satisfactory to us/him.

Here is what I came up with. I had previously purchased a Williams WGRS western something or other sight system. It consists of a rear peep sight and an interchangeable front globe sight. My eyes are not good enough to use the inserts in the front globe. The finer inserts were too hard to see and the if I painted them white and doubled several up it was better but not optimal for a good sight picture. I ordered some clear acryic tubes that i made fit into the screw in part of the front globe. I had to turn down a 15mm tube to make it fit decently. I found an old archery sight pin that accommodated an .019 fiber optic. I cut the pin off at the right length(I hope) to be centered in the tube. Used a heated needle to make the right size hole in the tube and epoxied it into place. Let it rest for a period of time to to cure and then inserted the .019 fiber and super glued it to the pin. I tried to run the other 23" of fiber back past the pin to the near side of the tube and then coil it up inside the tube. If that wasn't a pita and it didn't work very well, it kept wanting to turn sideways and was just a tangled up mess and was interfering with the view thru the tube. I gave up and decided to just wrap it around the exterior of the tube and then use clear packing tape to keep it in place. That seemed to work pretty well. I did purchase a piece of 3/4" id tubing to protect the fiber and maybe help secure it to the weapon. One of the downside of this WGRS is the front globe is only held to the barrel with one screw and it is large enough without the contraption I'm trying to use on it. The farther from the screw the more torque will be applied to the whole thing and its likely to get knocked off. I'm thinking of wrapping some more clear tape over the tube, barrel and rod ferule to keep it in place. I have not got to try it at the range but I'm pretty **** sure its not going to cover up as much target at 100 yds vs. the standard .060 front sight. I''ll let you know. My weaver K1 should be here soon so I have options. I googled this topic several times looking for an answer and I think I saw a rokside forum where a guy was basically trying to to do the same thing. Cant claim I'm the first and I wish Williams or tru glo would this. The amount of tube I used could be much shorter. I cannot fault Williams for having a one screw front sight. That was the manufacturer. This is currently mounted on a CVA Optimal V2. I'll try to attach two pics that explain alot.

Attachments

• DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00076.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Here is the second pic. I did better at making the sight then loading the darn pics and then trying to find them for uploading and posting.

Attachments

• DSC00077.JPG
    DSC00077.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Got to the range today with the fiber optic set up. Pretty sweet. Good sight picture and shot three inside 2.5" @ 100.The fiber covers up about 6" @ 100 yds. I can live with that. Makes me wonder how well a .010 fiber would do. Even more precise is my thinking. Enough fiber wrap and it would glow nice.
I also took the 1X weaver with a dot and tried it. Dot is too large and it was covering around 10-12" @ 100yds. I'm going to stick with the fiber setup. Now if I could just get the wind to calm down a bit. God luck hunting.

These are all no magnification;

You cold also get a 1-6x or similar and epoxy the power ring to lock it at 1x

Got to the range today with the fiber optic set up. Pretty sweet. Good sight picture and shot three inside 2.5" @ 100.The fiber covers up about 6" @ 100 yds. I can live with that. Makes me wonder how well a .010 fiber would do. Even more precise is my thinking. Enough fiber wrap and it would glow nice.
I also took the 1X weaver with a dot and tried it. Dot is too large and it was covering around 10-12" @ 100yds. I'm going to stick with the fiber setup. Now if I could just get the wind to calm down a bit. God luck hunting.
Sounds promising! What MOA is the dot your using?