Advice Duracoating a carbon stock

trucraft

Hi,
Anyone know anything about painting carbon stocks?
I have spoken to Manners and all they told me was not to grit blast or bake.
I want to achieve a look that still has a proportion of the carbon visible.
How would a keyed surface be achieved without damaging the finish on the carbon areas i want to reveal?
Something like this would be nice.
119A8074-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

paints dont stick to carbon very well. You MIGHT want to actually look outside the box. Bow manufactures use dips, and other type of paints on carbon risers all the time, and for quite awhile where they worked some kinks out...for all that remember the 2010 bowtech issue with the first carbon knights paint coming off.
Anyways, i'd look at how they do it, and what they use and try it that way.

Thanks.
I hadn't thought of dips.
I have now contacted a hydro dip company to see what they can do.
How hard wearing is hydro dipping?

I would like to do it myself if there was a way as I have several bottles of Duracoat and a spray gun.

interesting question--I recently contacted Lauer custom weaponry to ask if their dura-coat could be used on CF--they told me yes, I asked what the prep should be and they told me to contact the manufacture of the CF item

so I contacted Smoke Composites and asked them if I could dura-coat their hand guards and they said yes--so I asked what the prep should be and they said to contact the manufacture of the coating

go figure

As to how wearing dipping is, I'd say not at all. Once it cures, since your stock did go into to water, id lightly oil any aluminum blocks and so fourth, but even if you don't, it all should be fine

interesting question--I recently contacted Lauer custom weaponry to ask if their dura-coat could be used on CF--they told me yes, I asked what the prep should be and they told me to contact the manufacture of the CF item

so I contacted Smoke Composites and asked them if I could dura-coat their hand guards and they said yes--so I asked what the prep should be and they said to contact the manufacture of the coating

go figure

That sounds like the reply I got from Manner.
Considering they supply their carbon stocks in all maner of camo I thought they might be more helpful.

That sounds like the reply I got from Manner.
Considering they supply their carbon stocks in all maner of camo I thought they might be more helpful.
I am not a painter but if I was wanting to become one, I wouldn't want the person who applied the finish to my Manners stocks for a Mentor.

Scotchbrite pad, sand paper, blast with corn cob... whatever's convenient. Just blow it off and wipe with laquer thinner, acetone, or something of the like.
The paint manners and mcm use on most stocks are the exact equivalent of duracoat, it'll stick fine. The paint in your picture was applied with a sponge. Don't worry and have fun with it. Half the fun is wearing the paint off so you can paint a new pattern again.

Thanks guys. That does give me a little more confidence.
Hydro dip company got back to me and said they could get a pattern on the stock leaving areas of carbon in between.

However if I can achieve a keyed surface without trashing the rest of the carbon and then clear coat on top of Duracoat I will have a go myself with a natural spong.
Anyone know what type of clear coat would be most hard wearing?
I would probably use automotive laquer otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts