Adjusting Your Setup for Higher Altitude

dakor

I have a problem where I live its only 900 to 1000 FT above sea level. I will be hunting in Wyoming for Cow Elk and where we will be hunting will be 7000 to 10,000 FT above sea level. So my question is how are my loads going to be at Higher elevation? Do I just trust the ballistic Calc? The farthest I will be shooting is 700 Yards. What do you guys suggest?

Check your sight in when you get there. Ask your guide if he has a place for you to re-zero your rifle and check your gear.

I believe your loads will be hitting higher. I would use a ballistics calculator but I would shoot once you get to your destination. Make sure your outfitter knows you want to shoot that far and that you want to re zero your rifle before you hunt.

dakor,
if youll post or email me the particulars, ive got a program that will tell you how much to adjust to have the same zero range at the higher altitude, and I can do you a print of the new drops if you like.

Sorry guys it took me so long to reply. I had a honey do list a mile long. The hunt I am going on is not guided it will just be a friend of mine and me and maybe a guy I know that lives in Cody depending on his work schedule. abinok is there anyway I can get a copy of the program you have? If not just let know and I will send you the data. This is going to be my first Elk hunt we are going for a late cow hunt in Area 61. I will be bringing two rifles. One of them is a Sako TRG-S in a 300 Win shooting 200 Accubonds and the Other is a REM Sendero 7mm STW probably using 140 Accubonds or 175 Partitions if I can get a good load worked up.I think even if I shot a cow at 700 yards with that 140 Accubond through the ribs it will be good night. I wanted to use the 160 Accubond but for some reason my rifle likes them 300 yards or less. They start to open up to much for my taste past the 300 yard mark which really sucks. We are going to shoot once we get there. We will probably sight in for 300 yards because thats what I sight in for usually and so does he.

[ QUOTE ]
is there anyway I can get a copy of the program you have?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can point you to them, but they kinda frown on passing it around...
email the particulars and ill print and scan the drop sheet and adjustments for air density. I can post it here or email it to you. If you have a chance to send it tonight or in the morning, ill have some time to whip it up before 12:00 tomorrow.... hopefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifLet me know.
Ill need the bullet, MV (measured if its possible), scope height above bore, the altitudes in question, and the intended zero.
whats your preferance on yardage incriments on the drop sheet?
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.