Adjusting length of pull

straightshooter

This question may have been answered already and if it has I apologize, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer. I would like to know some methods to increase the length of pull of a factory composite stock. Please help! I have to lengthen it about an inch.

ralfus

The construction inside the butt of the stock can dictate your options. A one inch spacer can be added between the pad and stock, but will need to be profiled. There are slipon-tie-on recoil pads that can add an inch or so. If you have no recoil pad currently you can replace the buttplate with a 1 1/4" recoil pad to add both length and recoil control. There are also adjustable buttplates to be installed but add significant costs.

Clark

Here is a Rem 510 22RF single shot bolt we got for $50 at the gun show because someone cut a few inches off the stock.

We drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts.
It has shot .2 moa in a lucky 5 shot group, but averages 1 ~ 1.5 moa @50y.

So we tried to restore it.
We cut the butt square.
We glued on some Walnut to the butt.
We cut the new butt square.
We screwed on a butt plate.
We sanded down the junctions with a belt sander.
It got a coat of poly varnish.

It is not a foam core fiber glass laminate stock, but it is a good visual example of the precision possible with a power miter saw.

Here is a High Tech Specialties stock [Bansner]that has been cut to length with a power miter saw. It is being fitted for a wooden butt plug that will [when epoxied in place] accept the Limbsaver recoil pad mounting screws.
Brownells Search : Search Results for "high tech specialties" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

iSnipe

Just an idea, but have you considered trying a recoil pad? I know for some it has worked good. Food for thought.

Also, lengthening the LOP, to me anyway, seems not near as common as someone wanting to shorten it. I know with a few guns I had where the LOP was too long, I just trained myself to bring it to my shoulder different, then cheek weld and shoulder position. It worked.

iSnipe

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce