Adjusting length of pull

straightshooter

This question may have been answered already and if it has I apologize, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer. I would like to know some methods to increase the length of pull of a factory composite stock. Please help! I have to lengthen it about an inch.

The construction inside the butt of the stock can dictate your options. A one inch spacer can be added between the pad and stock, but will need to be profiled. There are slipon-tie-on recoil pads that can add an inch or so. If you have no recoil pad currently you can replace the buttplate with a 1 1/4" recoil pad to add both length and recoil control. There are also adjustable buttplates to be installed but add significant costs.

Rem510Restore.jpg

Here is a Rem 510 22RF single shot bolt we got for $50 at the gun show because someone cut a few inches off the stock.

We drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts.
It has shot .2 moa in a lucky 5 shot group, but averages 1 ~ 1.5 moa @50y.

So we tried to restore it.
We cut the butt square.
We glued on some Walnut to the butt.
We cut the new butt square.
We screwed on a butt plate.
We sanded down the junctions with a belt sander.
It got a coat of poly varnish.

It is not a foam core fiber glass laminate stock, but it is a good visual example of the precision possible with a power miter saw.

BansnerHighTechSpecialtiesstockwith.jpg

Here is a High Tech Specialties stock [Bansner]that has been cut to length with a power miter saw. It is being fitted for a wooden butt plug that will [when epoxied in place] accept the Limbsaver recoil pad mounting screws.
Brownells Search : Search Results for "high tech specialties" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Just an idea, but have you considered trying a recoil pad? I know for some it has worked good. Food for thought.

Also, lengthening the LOP, to me anyway, seems not near as common as someone wanting to shorten it. I know with a few guns I had where the LOP was too long, I just trained myself to bring it to my shoulder different, then cheek weld and shoulder position. It worked.

iSnipe

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.