Adjusting dies for trueness.

I use RCBS dies (for now) I've had good luck with them but i'm going to purchase a forester comp seater die very soon . when I set up my rcbs seater die I always start out with a few thick washers on top of my shell holder then I extend the ram rod all the way up until it connects with the die , this will take the slack out of the threads and you can visually see it true up the die in the press . from their I lock down the die and (set screw) then I adjust the boolit seatind debth . This is just how I do it and it works for me .

Bigbuck

"..I extend the ram rod all the way up until it connects with the die, this will take the slack out of the threads and you can visually see it true up the die..."

Well, I'm sure you can see the die move under pressure. If it's more "true" than simply tightening the lock ring hand tight is another question.

The die-to-ram alignment depends on how well the press threads are actually in line with the ram hole, and that depends on a bit of luck because few such threads are cut all that precisely.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.