Adjustable bases. Is there one worthy

I've used the Heritage/Cold Shot MOAB, ERATAC inclined, and the newest Ivey, they all work (just fine for me). Are they worthy of what? The cost? If your scope doesn't have enough elevation, you can get a scope with more elevation - adjustable, "problem" solved. Or get a rail and/or rings with incline built in - neither of which are adjustable. Or you can get an adjustable base. Its situational. If you want more info, suggest being more specific.

No scope but the genius have enough dial for my goals. Most folks I've talked to say that the adjustable rails are not repeatable. Moab is one I'm looking in to. 3k is my goal

I can't speak to the adjusting rings, or any of the bases other than the one from Warner Tools (not positive they have made theirs available yet). Theirs works just fine. Has 0, 30, 60, and 90 MOA increments. Well built, and seems to be rigid when running one of the intermediate increments (I have mine set on 30 MOA almost all the time.) If you are going to use an adjusting base make sure that you have your scope set up in a way that leaves sufficient for the increasing down angle (super long shade tube might not work).

Jeffvn

To be more specific I'm wanting a 100 yard zero and an additional 100 moa from what I got in my scope.
I would like to have 180 ish moa total adjustment. I was planing on using a 40 moa rail, add adjustable base on that and then my scope.

I was reading some other threads here about adjustable bases and they had stated they where not repeatable, also watching mark and Sam and he stated similar results. Most said the tacom hq was best but those are not quick adjustment.

Maybe things have changed since those statements where made or maybe those guys just didn't have enough confidence in the product.

I'd like to hear from folks that have used an adjustable base and their results

jasent - thanks for the clarification. That moves you past the ERATAC (70 MOA) and Warner (90 MOA) and leaves you with the MOAB and Ivey. The Ivey is close to twice the price ($745-$825 vs $430) but is the easier of the two to adjust, actually quite slick. That's from my personal experience. Complaints about the MOAB may be attributable to using the included instructions - this unit needs to be tightened down with a lot more force than stated in the instruction. Once it is, work fine, does not move.

Here is a link to a review that Broz (owner of the LRO site) did on the Ivey - http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...-mount-moa-jeff-brozovich.html?highlight=Ivey

Just a little info to clear things up on the Warner Base - The Warner base has settings for 0-30-60-90-120 and then also consider the fact there is a 20moa rail on top yet. So really you have 20-50-80-110-140 available moa. You would have to check with Warner Tool and see what actions they are working with for this base but I will comment on the fact that it is extremely accurate and repetitive for ELR use.

Cheers
Osoh
JH

osoh - thanks for the correction. I searched on the Warner FB page and found the pics with 30, 60, 90, and 120 marked - seems comments are no longer there so no idea about the 20 MOA rail. That noted, both the MOAB and Ivey are adjustable to less than an MOA - direct dial. The Ivey is quicker to change on the fly.

There is an older gunsmith north of the twin cities who USED to make adjustable bases that looked to me like a works of art. He did the scoring at the Harris, MN IBS 1000 yard matches a few years ago and was very well known around the area. I can't remember his last name....Elmer....?????:confused: Maybe someone around here remembers his name or knows him. A few of the guys were using them 20 + years ago for 3000+ yard dog shooting. I do know that used units sold for a small fortune (to me), but, if you were into ELR, it was the ticket!!!

Tod

This video was made two years ago at the KO2M, I was standing there watching as it was done. They were available in a fixed amount and this last year they have been working on a adjustable model. I am waiting to see the long term effects on the scope housing from the weight and heavy recoil of some of the rifles. But yes it is a nice setup, better then a few others? I'm not sure as far as the cash thats laid out and whats capable.

Cheers
Osoh

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.