ADG vs Peterson vs Lapua Brass

41magnut

If there is a thread concerning this subject I apologize, I was unable to find one.

I currently use Lapua LRP brass for my 308W loads, both hunting and LR competition.

The match loads are close to, or at, a max charge of Varget, 155 grain Berger Hybrid, 2975 FPS, 30" barrel length. Hunting rounds are, 2800 +/- FPS, various projectiles brands 150-165 grain.

Primarily with the match loads & Lapua brass, about 3-4 loads and the primer pockets have stretched to the point that I remove the brass from use.

I'm thinking of trying the ADG or Peterson, hoping for extended primer pocket life.

If any of you have used any or all three of these products.

I really like Peterson brass. Use them for .308 and 6mm creedmoor. And soon will use them for 22 creedmoor. I lost count on my reloads for my 6mm creed. I run them hot with 115 Bergers. I have at least 8 reloads and still going strong on the brass. The .308 brass feels brand new after 5-6 reloads. I use large pocket brass, I use Lapua on my 6.5 creed

Lapua primer pockets are the strongest in the industry in my experience.
If your primer pockets won't hold primers after 3-4 your likely past your max load.
Lapua brass can be tough to read pressure signs on compared to some other brands.
I've used all three brands you mentioned, but none in 308.
I do easily get 12+ firings with lapua brass in a .260 though.
I'd back that load off a bit if your looking for better brass life.

If you're loosing primer pockets in 3-4 firings with Lapua brass you're beyond safe pressures. I'd be willing to bet that if you tried a wet test you'd lock up the bolt and/or pierce a primer. Over time you're going to wear or gall your bolt lugs with a load like that. I always wet test my loads if they're anywhere near pressure.

I also think Lapua is among the strongest case heads. You may be able to get away with goibg to the small primer Lapua brass, but if you are losing them in 3-4 firings the pressures pretty up there.

Forgive my ignorance, what is wet testing?

Wet testing is taking a loaded round and dipping it or spraying it with water before chambering it and firing it. The water fills the gaps in the chamber so the case can't grow to fill them in and increases your pressure. It's best to test this way before you take ammo to a hunt or match that may have adverse conditions. A lot of people will work up a load that's on the edge of pressure, then shoot a match in the rain or fog and end up piercing primers or worse.

Wet testing is taking a loaded round and dipping it or spraying it with water before chambering it and firing it. The water fills the gaps in the chamber so the case can't grow to fill them in and increases your pressure. It's best to test this way before you take ammo to a hunt or match that may have adverse conditions. A lot of people will work up a load that's on the edge of pressure, then shoot a match in the rain or fog and end up piercing primers or worse.
Last spring I shot a match in a rain storm...surprising how many guys are running over pressured.
I believe the Palma guys use small primer 308 brass when they run them that hot to achieve 3k with a 155

Get some srp 308 brass. Guys have same problem with 260/6.5 creedmoor in the prs world. Want all the fps they can get w/o trashing brass. Run CCI450 primers to keep ignition temps and pressure up.

I use Lapua for everything except the 28 Nosler and I use ADG
I like it but I'm on my second time reloading it but if Lapua had made 28 that's what I'd been using
I am going to try some ADG for my 308 just to see if there is difference

Dang you boys running them hot I get a heavy bolt lift I back off

I don't compete but I shoot a lot and have used all you mentioned.
I have some Peterson brass that has been loaded 11 times and still tight primer pockets but I stay well below max.
Laupa brass is hard to find right now but I have loaded them way more than a few times.
I guess it's possible to get a bad batch of brass but I have never had Lapua fail me.
ADG brass has been loaded 5 times and still tight primer pockets.
Here in Montana I would not use small primer pocket brass for hunting as I have had ignition problems on real cold days but for competition they are THE cats meow!
Old Rooster

I don't compete but I shoot a lot and have used all you mentioned.
I have some Peterson brass that has been loaded 11 times and still tight primer pockets but I stay well below max.
Laupa brass is hard to find right now but I have loaded them way more than a few times.
I guess it's possible to get a bad batch of brass but I have never had Lapua fail me.
ADG brass has been loaded 5 times and still tight primer pockets.
Here in Montana I would not use small primer pocket brass for hunting as I have had ignition problems on real cold days but for competition they are THE cats meow!
Old Rooster
My 6gt runs srp, has large flash hole and using cci450 I've had 1 hang fire on 280 rounds using rl16, it chronod the same as the others in the string, so just mili seconds delay of ignition. I shoot 6.5cm necked down to 25cal, lapua SRP with RL26, no problems there either in as low as 10°. My 22 creed same deal, srp lapua brass with Cci450 primers, no problems.

Recent Posts