ADG Dimpling at the shoulder after resizing 🤔

I use Hornady unique in the tub. RCBS lube gave me occasional dents but I was probably using too much and not cleaning my dies enough. With the unique, I just barely put any at all on the case. I sometimes ask myself how can it even be enough of it that I'm putting on the case because it's barely even noticeable that the case has any lube on it, but a little goes a long way compared to other case lubes I've used. I haven't experienced any dents with it. I'm a believer in it.

So, on my 300 PRC ADG brass after full length resizing once fired new brass I have 10% of the 100 dimpling at the shoulder. My first thought is what the heck went wrong on my part. After inspecting dies etc I can't find anything out of the ordinary and have never had it happen with any other brass.

I honestly can't figure out why it would do this. Maybe to hard ? If that's a possibility. Not having enough give when resizing on specific individual ones. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thoughts ?
To much lube

Agree with the common thought of too much lube. While it might be anecdotal, my experience it has been easier to have the problem show up on steep shoulder angle cases.

Shane the only time I have seen it happen to me it was a build up of lube. I was able to identify the error because it looked like a sponge paint at the dimple. At that time I was utilizing a lube pad and also noticed how tacky it had become. My issue was not on every cas either. I have since switched to the hornaday spray lube, I spray the brass while in a gallon ziplock bag to help with mess. I can not recall the brass brand for certainty but I think it was 300 Saum Norma for my 6.5 Saum. Looking your dimples it does make me wonder if there is a slight dimension variance in the brass at that location and the dies and forcing the excess out. Could you fire form a couple then resize and see how it comes out. I bet you are needing some Berger 208s to get this gun running lol.

So, on my 300 PRC ADG brass after full length resizing once fired new brass I have 10% of the 100 dimpling at the shoulder. My first thought is what the heck went wrong on my part. After inspecting dies etc I can't find anything out of the ordinary and have never had it happen with any other brass.

I honestly can't figure out why it would do this. Maybe to hard ? If that's a possibility. Not having enough give when resizing on specific individual ones. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thoughts ?
I have a Whidden FL sizing die with no vent hole that I had to stop using because of this. It happened on Bertram brass that was pretty hard. I bought a Redding die and have not had any issues since. Im not sure if they forgot the vent hole or if Whidden just doesn't use them but I would definitely check to make sure yours is clean. I tried several different types and very small amounts of lube and it just kept happening.

Dents: I had exactly the same sort of dents making 256 Newton out of 270 brass. Cleaned the die. Used less Imperial and the problem mostly went away. The CH dies did not have a vent hole by design. Next brass making time the antique RCBS die with vent hole will be used.

Like everyone else says, to much Lub and check the vent hole.Don't scrap the dented cases, just shoot them and they will put themselves right.

too much lube and/or plugged vent onthe die lube can buildup in the die wash the die and make sure the vent is not plugged a plugged vent will trap air as you size and the air bubble will cause the dimple.

too much lube and/or plugged vent onthe die lube can buildup in the die wash the die and make sure the vent is not plugged a plugged vent will trap air as you size and the air bubble will cause the dimple.
Happened to me on Weatherby brass. Lube issue and brush the neck inside and out clean the die.

Recent Posts