ADG .300 WM and 180 TTSX recipe?

Correct. I mentioned ADG states to back off 10%. Just looking for actual loads people use with these components. Starting to think my search will be in vain.
Any rifle out there is subject to tooling wear and the ensuing tolerance differences (think neck and chamber mainly for this question). You have to work up a load for any rifle, in this light. A method I have used several times - Nosler data shows a load density % and "most accurate" references. Try loading a couple/few up in/close to that range and see if you note pressure signs. You don't have to start at the bottom every time, every rifle - some you do though, an important thing to remember. Compare bolt function by using factory ammo as well. You're likely not creating proof loads either way so pulling a couple, or more, apart happens with this method so have the tools that accomodate. Some sources out there don't suggest using "light" first loads for brass life reasons and some of those saying that have ways to test and prove it better than many.

I have a good friend that just bought ADG brass for his 300WM. He's going to be working up loads with 180 TTSXs. Does anyone use these 2 components together? He's been using IMR4350 with 180 partitions, so I think that's the powder he'll be using. Any input would be appreciated. I use ADG for my 7saum and I know they recommend backing off 10% due to it being thicker.
I have used the TTSX and TSX in my 300WM for 20 + years and IMR 4831 max load. get 5/8 - at 100 yd.
My Browning A bolt loves them best 5 shot group at 100 was 3/8 alot 1/2 in. I m at max + a little on
powder and 3000 FPS. As they say start lower and good luck. I was using Winchester brass though !

You don't say. I work at Ohio Ordnance Works. We make guns. We make barrels. I reload. A lot. I understand all that. What many don't seem to understand is there are universally good loads. I can load 24.7gr of N140 under a 77gr SMK or Berger OTM and it will shoot lights out in nearly all rifles. Right around 42.0gr of H4350 under a 140ELD will yield good results in most 6.5CMs. Not difficult to understand.
You are exactly right. Many many universal loads for Garand, .308, '06.

Thats 9gr over what barnes list ?
Probably so, it's a compressed load developed and tested for my rifle by friend ( gunsmith ) out of South Carolina who built the 26" rifle above on a Borden Timberline action about 12 years ago. Her name is Lucy ( short for Lucifer, lol ). And that load has accounted for 90% of her elk shots. With about 30 yards as the most any elk has ever walked afterwards.
The last two (2022) were in New Mexico and Colorado with DRT effect.
In fact, I was serving up a back-strap to clients last weekend at a BBQ event and I found the Barnes TTSX bullet from the Colorado elk last year. Pretty cool, elk was shot in front upper chest at 250 yards and DRT. It traveled thru chest then spine and finally lodged in the New York Strip! The bullet had mushroomed only slightly and if I knew how to post pic of it on here, I would.

I have a good friend that just bought ADG brass for his 300WM. He's going to be working up loads with 180 TTSXs. Does anyone use these 2 components together? He's been using IMR4350 with 180 partitions, so I think that's the powder he'll be using. Any input would be appreciated. I use ADG for my 7saum and I know they recommend backing off 10% due to it being thicker.
73 gr. H 4831 SC
Fed 215 primer
RP brass
COL 3.475
Accurate, my choice load, no pressure signs
Fired in Rem 700

You are exactly right. Many many universal loads for Garand, .308, '06.
Many cartridges have good universal loads. Gavin Toobe recreated Lapua's load with the Berger 77. I copied his recipe and I get the same ragged hole accuracy as he did. I don't know why that's so difficult for some people to understand.

Probably so, it's a compressed load developed and tested for my rifle by friend ( gunsmith ) out of South Carolina who built the 26" rifle above on a Borden Timberline action about 12 years ago. Her name is Lucy ( short for Lucifer, lol ). And that load has accounted for 90% of her elk shots. With about 30 yards as the most any elk has ever walked afterwards.
The last two (2022) were in New Mexico and Colorado with DRT effect.
In fact, I was serving up a back-strap to clients last weekend at a BBQ event and I found the Barnes TTSX bullet from the Colorado elk last year. Pretty cool, elk was shot in front upper chest at 250 yards and DRT. It traveled thru chest then spine and finally lodged in the New York Strip! The bullet had mushroomed only slightly and if I knew how to post pic of it on here, I would.
What cases are you using and is it a 180 gr bullet ?

Last edited: