Adding zero stop NF

Ryeguy

Anyone have a good alternative to "adding " zero stop to a non zero stop nsx scope? Called NF and they want 400 to add. I've read you can do shims but it can cause damage. What's your solution to keeping your zero? Would like to hear opinions/options. Thanks

I was installing zero stops in NXS scopes before NF thought of it... I would drill, tap, and install a brass tipped set screw in the elevation turret cap. Installed over a hundred without issues.

Was just looking at my non ZS last night contemplating the same thing. I'm assuming you drilled into the side of the turret cap? What did you engage the brass screw on to "stop"?

Thanks!

Marcus

Use nylon washers inside the cap , not metal, works perfect and only costs a few cents.

There is a decent thread on this topic, google it. So far the best homemade zero stop to me is rubber O rings. They shouldn't put any extreme upward force when turn the turret down. Also you can plainly see where you're going to stop so you don't have to run into the stopper in order to find your zero.

There is a decent thread on this topic, google it. So far the best homemade zero stop to me is rubber O rings. They shouldn't put any extreme upward force when turn the turret down. Also you can plainly see where you're going to stop so you don't have to run into the stopper in order to find your zero.

Do you mean putting rubber o rings on the outside of the turret for just a visual stop?

Orientation of the set screw is critical.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 666
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 650
Do you mean putting rubber o rings on the outside of the turret for just a visual stop?

Yeah, guess your zero gap and get an O ring close to the right size. Then pull our cap, up the o ring on the post then put your cap back on. It should fill the gap nicely and give you a good reference. If you should go past your zero you will eventually hit the o ring instead of going past the point of no return.

You might even be able to stretch the o ring over your entire turret w/out removing it. I know some aren't easy to get off.

The advantage of the set screw method is that there is no need to fiddle with thicker or thinner washers/o rings should you need to change zero when going to a different load.. back the set screw out, re-zero, then turn the set screw in until it makes contact with the brass contact point in the turret. Done..

Joel, I know adding the screw doesn't in any way damage or alter the scope but might NF say it voids the warranty, like one of those "you worked on it first" things ?
I haven't read or even seen their terms.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.