Adding a shoulder?

Tgunz64

how hard is it for gunsmiths to build up a shoulder on a thinner barrel to accommodate a suppressor/brake/mount? Just realized today I need a barrel .600 od to fit my suppressor mount. It's .566 at the end. Need that little extra behind the threads. I'm having this barrel threaded 1/2x28. Is adding a shoulder something most gunsmiths can do?

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/add-tapered-shoulder/
I'm new to this suppressor stuff. Didn't know you had to have a certain thickness. But this is what I found online

Hard to tell from the pictures and they don't actually explain what it is but to me it looks like a threaded nut that gets installed after the threading is done.
It doesn't seem to be an actual building up and machining down of material (like putting down a weld bead that would be a HUGE no no).
There is some sort of silvery/grey material at the "shoulder device" and barrel connection that may be an epoxy or silver solder. I am doubting the solder as the heat would likely force you to reblue the barrel and that would have also blued the solder.....
Other than that guess I am not really sure what this "service" is.

Darrell

Hard to tell from the pictures and they don't actually explain what it is but to me it looks like a threaded nut that gets installed after the threading is done.
It doesn't seem to be an actual building up and machining down of material (like putting down a weld bead that would be a HUGE no no).
There is some sort of silvery/grey material at the "shoulder device" and barrel connection that may be an epoxy or silver solder. I am doubting the solder as the heat would likely force you to reblue the barrel and that would have also blued the solder.....
Other than that guess I am not really sure what this "service" is.

Darrell

I'm not sure how they do it. My gun is sitting at the gunsmith and I called them today but they are busy. They said they will call back. I'm going to ask about the shoulder thing. If they can't do it or recommend it I'll just have the gun sent back.

I just use a thread protector that I turn shorter and I shoulder it and locktite it, then turn it of to blend and cut the shoulder for the suppressor and your good. Any Smith should be able to do that without any issues if their setting up to cut a barrel correctly in the first place.

Barrel threaded 1/2", you say you need .600 for mounting your can? Lost me there- what is the threading for the can? 9/16" ? 5/8" ? .600 is not a standard thread tenon OD.

when there is inadequate torque shoulder on the barrel, you can machine the muzzle device to bear on the muzzle (crown).

According to Tbac and area 419 they recommend a shoulder of .600 for their mounts to go against. My barrel at the shoulder is .577 I think the gunsmith told me. .566 at muzzle. Enough room for 1/2" threads but can I get a 419 or cb mount work with .577 shoulder? Talked to my gunsmith yesterday and he said yes he can get it to work.

Welding on any barrel is a no no and should never be done. If you want to install a muzzle brake, you need very little shoulder, (The threads will seat and stop) but adding a can, there needs to be more shoulder. The thread wall minimum thickness should be .150 after threading. the shoulder should be larger to support the can and help align it.

Be careful you don,t ruin a good barrel Talk to someone like Shortgrass if you want good advice on how to accomplish what you need.

J E CUSTOM

The "build up a shoulder" part had me going. Building up metals usually means welding on them to deposit more metal. You shouldn't weld on a barrel, CM or SS. There are all kinds of adapters that can be made, but IMO, your barrel is too small in diameter to be threaded to begin with. Others will certainly disagree, but .150" barrel wall thickness is what I consider minimum, and at most you might have .125" (or there abouts) thickness if your barrel is a .224" groove. Besides, hanging anything off the end of a "buggy whip" barrel is bound to have consequences. Someone else can have that work. Ya', I know, AR15 barrels are threaded 1/2-28..........

Does this matter much when the can won't be direct thread? Maybe I'll have the barrel cut back to the .600. The gun is a 22-250 so hence why I want 1/2x28.

Last edited:
You have completely miss my point. I, also. think you should go to Thunderbeasts' home page, scroll down to "Services", and see what they have to say about thread sizes. It's right there at the top under "Barrel Threading". Also, you have not told us what make of the rifle, if the barrel is a 'factory' or custom and what cartridge it is chambered for.

L
You have completely miss my point. I, also. think you should go to Thunderbeasts' home page, scroll down to "Services", and see what they have to say about thread sizes. It's right there at the top under "Barrel Threading". Also, you have not told us what make of the rifle, if the barrel is a 'factory' or custom and what cartridge it is chambered for.
My last post before yours says 22-250. Ruger Hawkeye All Weather. Factory barrel. If 1/2x28 threads is so bad for a suppressor mount then why does TBAC make a CB mount in 1/2x28?
I see where it says 1/2x28 are too small for a .30 caliber. But the suppressor isn't being mounted to a 1/2x28 thread. It's closer to 1" or whatever the threads are on the can itself.

L

My last post before yours says 22-250. Ruger Hawkeye All Weather. Factory barrel. If 1/2x28 threads is so bad for a suppressor mount then why does TBAC make a CB mount in 1/2x28?
I see where it says 1/2x28 are too small for a .30 caliber. But the suppressor isn't being mounted to a 1/2x28 thread. It's closer to 1" or whatever the threads are on the can itself.
Just emailed with TBAC and got a response about threading. 1/2x28 is fine for mounting an ultra 9. What they mean by that bold writing is 1/2x28 is only for shooting 224 caliber bullets. Just don't shoot anything larger like 30 cal through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.