ADA is anti LRH

300RUM with 240gn SMK is mine but I sure hope it dosn't come to that. Hopefully the edge will be safer as its not a military round. It seems they are mainly after 338 Lapua, 375 and 408 cheytac, 416 barret and 50 cal tacticool rifles.

I was thinking the same, not much left when you take the big .338's out of the equation. That is why I was thinking of setting the barrel back to .338WM.

Better still, just get the barrel re-stamped as a .300 RUM and continue to shoot it as a .338 Edge. The flat foots would never know the difference unless they mic the projectile!:D

You are dead right there. In Aus there is over 800,000 licenced shooters and if they all stood together the government would not be able to force these changes on us.

Is it legal in Australia to knowingly stamp the wrong caliber on a rifle?
No it is not and I would not do it, but it shows how frustrated we are getting with the gun laws down here.

Now to have NO caliber stamp on a rifle may be different?

Or just call it a .338/30 and leave off the RUM part and keep them guessing. They know nothing about wildcats. It could be a .30/30 necked up to .338 for all they know.
Here is a list of cartridges that the South Australian Police will no longer permit shooters to own in that State. They are holding the existing rifles until they are sold interstate or modified.
The calibers listed are
50 BMG
460 Steyr
408 Cheytac
375 Cheytac
416 Barrett
338 Lapua Magnum
and some pistol cartridge that apparently punches through Kevlar helmets.

Not sure on .338 Edge etc yet.

if you want some good sport ask your law makers to explain why these calibres are so much more dangerous than xyz (list a few similar calibres)? in the uk here our police have rifle calibres we're not allowed , now tell me why they need a 338 lapua?

believe me , this is only the thin end of the wedge!

you have to act now or you will end up in the same sorry state we are in the UK

Norm if you have not already seen the emails made it to AHN caused a shitfight and the ADA has come out and said that "The ADA encourages legitmate debate on ethics amongst its membership. The extract from the email does not represent the views of the ADA and is not a statement by the ADA."
You can find it in Politics & Current Affairs > Firearms law review > ADA and firearms bans??
It is good to see that pretty much everyone on there is against all firearms restrictions even if they don't like LRH.

The boys on the AHN have done a good job. They have made the ADA sit back and take notice. A pitty they didn't know about it earlier.

Next time the ADA might think twice before they push for tighter gun control.

Divide and conquer! That's what is going on. Unfortunately it's working to some extent. If we all banded together we would have a real voice. The problem is that too many gun owners are falling for the same song and dance.
The biggest voice out there right now is the NRA and we all need to support it. Say what you want and I recognize that they are not perfect, but with out the NRA, we'd be in the same boat as the UK.

Hi all i have not wanted to get into this debate but some things are false mentioned here. Firstly Vic is not banning cartriges like the 338 Lap as Vic deems it a legitimate sporting round, the 50 cals and derivitives have always been on a restricted list and because people are advertising the 460steyr and 416 barrel to side step 50 cal bans dont you think the police watch these types of forums?

As for stamping a different calibre on your barrel. if you have to have the rifle calibre changed a licenced gunsmith will have to convert the rifle and supply a certificate to proje tje changes were completer it is against the law for us to do this type of thing and there is no one i know that would jepordise their dealers licence for this.

Now for the 338 LApua shooters there are 2 other cartriges with the same boltface that use 338 projectiles commercialy available and they can have the rifles converted and have similar performance we have been asked to convert a few rifles already and no i wont print them here you all say why ban X calibre when Y calibre has the same ballistics do you think the police are stupid they say thank you we will add it to the list so stop comparing other sporting calibres to things like the 338 Lapua please or i garrentee they WILL be on the list. just keep shooting your rifles and be happy.

The ADA has no rights on trying to have calibres banned and the political effect against them by their own shooters has worked but dont get specific with anything just say it is up to the shooter to judje the distance that he is competent to cleanly and humanly dispatch the game animal with the equiptment he has at his disposal how simple is that if it is a 30/30 it is going to be a lot less distance than a 338 lapua with the correct projectile.

And a word of worning the projectiles we use are being looked at with solid alloy VLD's being banned on all ranges in England they dont meet any saftey specifications for our range templates and are something to stay away from because they have a lot of problems associated with them.

Just for a bit of knowlidge read the WA firearms regulations and they types or projectiles that are prohubited for use even franjable projectiles are banned there. we dont want reasons to have our legitimate sports stopped so make broad safe guidelines and please stop this why ban the 338 lapua when my Y cartrige fires the same projectile at the same speed or faster because the next thin you know it will be on the list aswell.

We have to thank a certain person from the Defence science and technology for the crap with the 338 Lapua i wont mention his name but he has stated that the effective range of a 338 lapua is 6Km so all the police have then said that the ranges are not safe to stop them in the fallout zone if you do punch certain things into a computer a 22lr makes it 2Km so be aware of the things you post in relation to the distance you are shooting and pictures of what you do making it to the internet you dont need to be doing anything wrong for people to take it the wrong way thinking everyone is want to be snipers hiding in the bush practicing their dark art this is realy what the public thinks so dont be nieve.

Cheers Bill

Has anyone seen the E-mail's floating about from the ADA. Seems that they have an issue with long range hunting and are trying to have it banned.
Drop me an E-mail if your like and I will send you a copy. Makes interesting reading.

ADA stands for Australian Deer Association. A deer hunting organisation.

ADA is a LOAD Of BS in my books

Is it legal in Australia to knowingly stamp the wrong caliber on a rifle?

No it is a criminal offence to do so.
If a gunsmith changes a barrel they are ment to restart the correct caliber on the barrel if we change the caliber we have to sign a declaration that the correct caliber is stamped on the barrel. you can loose your licence if you don't. if a caliber is baneed and you are found in possession of a rifle with an incorrect barrel stamp you will loose you're licence and likely get a jail sentence.

ADA is a LOAD Of BS in my books

Some of you bloke would do better to look deeper before typing.

There are many branches of the ADA. I am Treasurer of one of them in NSW and we have a great and diverse group of hunters.

The letters that are spoken of weren't endorsed by the National Committee of a State one to my knowledge, merely one members ill informed opinions.

My only problem with long range is experience, and I would suggest it is upto older experienced shooters to educate the younger blokes on technique etc. I have seen quite a few blokes turn up a local range asking is it a 400 or 500 yard range? No mate it is 200. Little wonder they stuff up in the field.

It is up to the individual knowing his limits.

Some of you bloke would do better to look deeper before typing.

There are many branches of the ADA. I am Treasurer of one of them in NSW and we have a great and diverse group of hunters.

The letters that are spoken of weren't endorsed by the National Committee of a State one to my knowledge, merely one members ill informed opinions..

Byrnesy,
I take it that you are a long range hunter? Otherwise why would you be a member of this site?

The letters were not just the ill informed opinion of a single individual. You must have not been privy to the full details of the 3 month long saga! I was and the issue was mostly stirred up by a group of Victorian ADA members with little understanding of the practice.

Since this issue was raised (it was quite a while ago) the number of ADA members who have become interested in LR hunting has grown in large numbers. With the interest in this form of hunting so strong at the moment it is little wonder that the anti's have pulled their heads in.

Obviously don't want to loose a truck load of members and have maybe learn't to be tollerant of other hunters methods? Lets hope so at division amongst hunters is not good.

Topshot

What I consider long range is likely not what many of you guys consider long range. But I shoot within my abilities and continue to push the boundaries of my limits so they slowly extend. Why I am here then? Because there is a lot of useful info and varied opinions.

Those that choose not to listen to opinions they disagree with don't grow their knowledge.

Like they say; The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

And yes division amongst hunters and shooter does nothing to help our cause.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.