actual oal longer than max oal

crittrgittr

I'm relatively new to reloading and found my newest venture on my .257 wthby actual length to be .200 longer than what the charts say max oal is. That is alot, so I just want to verify its ok to seat it that far past max. Your thoughts?

As long as the cartridges fit in the magazine you're good to go. I always start with .010 jump on any new bullet and hope they fit, works good for me.

Crittrgittr,

It's not really a question of the whether it fits in the magazine or not, unless you want to use the magazine. Canvsbk kind of alluded to this, but the Max OAL merely indicates the longest length you can load a given SAAMI cartridge to, and still have it feed through a standard magazine for that round. If you don't mind single-feeding, you can load to whatever matches your throat to minimize jump. No problem at all!

Thank you. My oAlis about .200 longer then Max in the book. That still includes being able to fit inside my spring-loaded clip, internal clip that is. So I'm assuming it is safe as long as I'm about .010 off the lands?

So long as you've got enough of the bullet's shank into the case neck to provide adequate neck tension, you're good to go! That 2.260" figure I mentioned will work/feed/function through any standard 223 Rem/5.56mm magazine, but there are obviously some which can accomdate the longer rounds. Yours is apparently one of the latter, so you've got some flexibility in this one. Enjoy!

Thank you Kevin. Not sure if we got mixed up, but I'm working up the .257 wthby load now; not the .223. I did get the message you are giving me though and do appreciate the help. I have it seated plenty far for support so I should be good to go?

Sorry about that! I'm involved in another conversation on a different thread that was centered on the 223, and apparently transposed the two. But yes, you should be good to go. Normally, one caliber of seating depth is more than enough, but I've seen plenty that would work with less. Just depends on how gently the ammo will be handled. The jump sddenly makes a lot more sense, too, as the Weatherby's traditionally long throat clears that right up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.