Actual miles hiked?

DXHI

Hey guys was just curious as if anyone downloaded the gps tracks from their hunts and had an actual miles and elevation changes record you would share.

Not asking for honey hole information or actual corrdinates..just curious about track logs

For a single hunt or all together? For a multi day pack hunt or from a base camp aka the truck?

I have one loop I used to do for whitetail that is 8 miles and 1200 ft. in elevation. No trail, just bushwhacking. I know from tracking it on onX.

In the Frank Church area in Idaho you can gain 5500 feet of elevation in 2 miles....I did it. Well I should say, as the crow flies it was 2 miles. All the switchbacking and bushwacking I did turned it in to 3 miles. We started at the Salmon River at 3000 feet at sunrise and hit 8500 feet in 3 miles by mid afternoon. The first mile is brutal and the steepest. And then we hiked back down by dark... All in a single day. So total elevation gain and lost was 11,000 feet over approx 6 miles, in a single day.

Last edited:
Spent 9 days on a sheep hunt in the wrangells and my GPS said I went 41.6 miles and gained 13,489 feet over the 9 days. Not the most physical hunt I've ever been on, but not the easiest. Musk egg and ankle breaking sized rocks make every 100 feet an inter stein gap experience.

In the Frank Church area in Idaho you can gain 5500 feet of elevation in 2 miles....I did it. Well I should say, as the crow flies it was 2 miles. All the switchbacking and bushwacking I did turned it in to 3 miles. We started at the Salmon River at 3000 feet at sunrise and hit 8500 feet in 3 miles by mid afternoon. The first mile is brutal and the steepest. And then we hiked back down by dark... All in a single day. So total elevation gain and lost was 11,000 feet over approx 6 miles, in a single day.
Have done that as well, tough hunt. The switchbacks up were 3 miles alone.
Lack of water, 95* temps, lack of sheep. Tough country.

As ex-Alaskans, my wife and I have done 60+mile mountain hunts, several of them. They were all painful, brutal experiences but there is something about the sheep mountains that makes it tolerable. A fine dall ram is the ultimate motivation.
Looking back how we weren't hurt or killed in some of the places we've been is really remarkable. Climbing and the resulting falling or bounding rock was usually the biggest issue.

Attachments

• franksgobbler 142.jpg
    franksgobbler 142.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00054 2.jpg
    DSC00054 2.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 129
Spent 9 days on a sheep hunt in the wrangells and my GPS said I went 41.6 miles and gained 13,489 feet over the 9 days. Not the most physical hunt I've ever been on, but not the easiest. Musk egg and ankle breaking sized rocks make every 100 feet an inter stein gap experience.
At least you didn't bust Alders for a few miles! I hunted the Frank and the Alaska Range both tough for sure but the tangle of brush and alders made the AK hunt worse. Mileage wise we did 33 in 4 days this August with 9K in vertical.

At least you didn't bust Alders for a few miles! I hunted the Frank and the Alaska Range both tough for sure but the tangle of brush and alders made the AK hunt worse. Mileage wise we did 33 in 4 days this August with 9K in vertical.
I agree with the brush - I'll hike a steeper hillside or go a farther distance around in order to avoid bad tree blow-down or thick oak brush areas. Besides the fact that its very hard to see or sneak up on any game animal in that type of stuff anyhow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.