Active Elk hunting outer layer clothing and boots for snow/rain?

WalksLikeADeer

I will be elk hunting eastern Oregon early November 6000-7000 feet this year. There could be snow, rain or both. What would you recommend for outer layer and boots for active(climbing up and down canyons) hunting? I don't have a lot of experience/gear for hunting in snow. I'm trying to avoid excessive sweating but still staying dry.

Any of the big name outer shells work well. I prefer Sitka. Underneath you can readily mix and match layering to suit (and save a chunk of money). I hunt at the same altitude. You'll need a variety of base layers including both vests and long sleeve insulating coats so you can match the day's conditions. This will take you some experimenting to get comfortable match the layers to the conditions.

Any of the big name outer shells work well. I prefer Sitka. Underneath you can readily mix and match layering to suit (and save a chunk of money). I hunt at the same altitude. You'll need a variety of base layers including both vests and long sleeve insulating coats so you can match the day's conditions. This will take you some experimenting to get comfortable match the layers to the conditions.
oldfortyfiveauto, thank you for the reply. Are you referring to the Kuiu Attack / Sitka Assent, Mountain type pants or are you suggesting their full rain pant type? My concern would be being too wet in non rain pant or to sweaty in rain gear. Is there a specific pant and boot that works well for you? We can always expect rain but snow could also be a possibility here.

Any synthetic outer wear lined with Goretex, light merino wool base layer and puffy lightweight vest/jacket. For boots, I like Crispi and Kenetrek. Both have some type of water proof lining. Don't forget gaiters. Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks Rick, I never leave home without my Kenetrek gaiters! A puffy would be a great addition for the colder weather in this eastern hunt and was torn between down and synthetic? I mostly hunt western Oregon hunting which is wet and warm(too warm!) so would like the new gear to work for both if possible. I have very lightweight KUIU merino base layers which I love but may need heavier? The GORE-TEX jacket is a great idea with the puffy. Any thoughts on a specific lightweight GORE-TEX jacket that could be layered with a puffy?

I've read great reviews on both brand of boots you mentioned. I like lightweight especially in boots. Crispi has some lightweight options. All my western Oregon hunting boots are uninsulated so I wasn't sure if I would need insulated for snow or not?

I will be elk hunting eastern Oregon early November 6000-7000 feet this year. There could be snow, rain or both. What would you recommend for outer layer and boots for active(climbing up and down canyons) hunting? I don't have a lot of experience/gear for hunting in snow. I'm trying to avoid excessive sweating but still staying dry.
I am old school and still like to wear wool.

Any synthetic outer wear lined with Goretex, light merino wool base layer and puffy lightweight vest/jacket. For boots, I like Crispi and Kenetrek. Both have some type of water proof lining. Don't forget gaiters. Good luck on your hunt!
I just learned something I didn't know. I assumed all GORE-TEX was waterproof but it seems the GORE-TEX INFINIUM is a non-waterproof material. Good to know:)

Look at Sitka, First Light or KUI... all three have good products. I have Sitka and First Light myself. I prefer First Light primarily because it fits me better.

Any Rain product you wear will be hot if you are moving... some more than others. Make sure you have a good layering system and backup layers in case you sweat badly or get wet.

As an aside a quality sack and support will be important. On the high end XO Mountain Gear... good hunting.

Sitka all the way and pack a light weight roll up rain coat I hunt eastern Oregon also

Congrats on your upcoming hunt. I have been hunting that area for 20+ years. I personally would not be so concerned about Gortex but more about a few quality layers. We are a fairly dry climate and you will shed most snow. As someone had mentioned,,, wool. It seems we all have tried the newer technology but we all end back up with quality wool products.
I actually have an older Cabelas pullover wool sweater that has a windbreaker layer in it that I have worn for years. It fits loose enough I can fit a down vest under it. Thus letting me shed either or both later without packing to much weight.
Now if you said you were hunting Western Oregon I would be recommending Gortex. Good luck.

Boot-wise...it's gotta fit YOUR foot...my foot (supposedly) is well-suited for a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs (according to Lathrop & Sons), but I've got a pair of L&S Boots on the way. Crispi, Lowa, Hanwag, Schnee's, La Sportiva, etc...all good boots 👍🏻

Look at Sitka, First Light or KUI... all three have good products. I have Sitka and First Light myself. I prefer First Light primarily because it fits me better.

Any Rain product you wear will be hot if you are moving... some more than others. Make sure you have a good layering system and backup layers in case you sweat badly or get wet.

As an aside a quality sack and support will be important. On the high end XO Mountain Gear... good hunting.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking with the rain gear and hiking out of a hell hole...you're either going to get wet from the outside with it off or wet from the inside if you wear it.:confused: Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts