actions

Gator26

Anyone ever used or know anyone who has used one of mcmillans actions are they over priced or are they worth the 1450 they are asking?

$300 of that price is name only. If you want to spend big bucks on a kickass action, get a BAT.

That said, in the hands of a smith that truly cares about what his name goes on (which we hope ALL of them do), you can spend about $750 on a Stiller Predator or Viper action and you will see ZERO difference in accuracy of a custom rifle compared to one with a McMillan, Borden, BAT, Surgeon, Phoenix machine, etc.

A trued action is just that. A "squared" action can't get anymore "square." The complete rifle and your handloading ability with good components make up the other 70% of the puzzle.

I have rifles with custom actions but most are blueprinted 700s. To date, the trued 700s are the most accurate rifles I have. That said, and to be fair, I've worked with them a little longer on load development.

They certainly look nice to me. I really like the features on their so-called CRF action. If I was contemplating a custom action, I'd seriously consider one.

Clay

Been away a while!!!

If I were buying a custom action, I would buy either the BAT or Viper, which is made by Stiller.

I have a Stiller Predator EXtreme on my 338 Lapua Improved and it is working awesome.

If money wasn't an issue I'd get a Bat with integral 20moa rail. It has integral recoil lug as well.

I really like the Stiller but my next build will be a BAT

Last edited:
My 338 Lapua AI build is getting a BAT with a 20moa rail but it wasn't really anymore than the others that I looked at except the Stiller and we probably would have really looked hard at the Stiller but we could never get them to answer the phone or call us back and I like the idea of making local dollars and spending local dollars so BAT it is. You spend more for the rail but you save it on the other end of the build. I have to admit though the Surgeon is a sweet looking piece

we probably would have really looked hard at the Stiller but we could never get them to answer the phone or call us back

I had the same problem with Stiller I guess they do'nt like money.

I have a Borden Timberline and my 'smith said he always checks the actions for squareness and most all need a slight "tweak" but the Borden was out of the box perfect.

There is nothing dramatically wrong with the McMillan receivers. That said, they are expensive for sure and as such, I point my customers in different directions for a custom receiver just because of cost mainly.

For any rifle based on a case up to and including the RUM class chamberings, my first choice by a LARGER margin is the Borden Timberline Magnum receiver.

For a Lapua class chambering, My first choice is the BAT HRPIC receivers. Expensive for sure but these are well worth the investment. That said, as soon as Borden starts offering a Lapua class receiver I will have two top end receivers I can recommend to my customers.

For 408 CT class chamberings, my first choice is the BAT M single shot 1.55"x8.5" round receivers.

For the BMG, I would probably lean toward the BAT but the McMillan 50 BMG receiver is pretty good, espeically if you want a repeater.

These are also the choices I use for my personal rifles so what I recommend to my customers is what I use myself.

I have always just used a 700 action. That price sounds a little high to me as well. I am currently having another gun built by Dave Tooley and was unaware that he builds his own custom actions. That being said they are 725.00, and I am going to try one out. Should be able to report something back in a few months.

Take Care
SC

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.