Actions - What do you use?

Tikka for a budget/factory build. They are pretty dang good right out of the box and are the perfect size for the short mag types - SAUM, PRC, WSM, etc. I have been down the rem700 route and don't think it is worth it. By the time they are trued and right, you may as well have bought an entry level custom action. As for full custom, I really like my Lone Peak Fuzions. Have 1 in stainless and 1 titanium. Integrated rail is awesome and they are smooth as can be. Bolt lift is about the lightest I have felt of any. Also did a semi custom build off of a christensen action and will never do that again. Super heavy bolt lift and just clunky feeling.

I shoot stock factory guns 99% of the time. Stock as in Savage, Remington, Ruger, Browning A Bolts......not 2-3K "factory". Just about a week ago....banging 12" steel at 900yds (4-5" groups) using my $500 totally stock Savage 10TSR with my $700 Vortex. My customs (semi custom to many) are two trued 700's and a Defiance Anti (full custom) at the smiths. Only reason I went with the Defiance was because I could buy it about 400 cheaper than a 700 rifle to scavenge the action.
My 10TSR is also a tack driver. 140EH, h4350 lapua sr, cci450

Small shank Savage. Mine are all flat back. I like the tang safety and bolt release. Easy to work on and true up. Cheap and good dont usually go together but I think the older savage 110's are a lot better than they get credit for.

For hunting rifles I've never had a bad Howa/Weatherby Vanguard. Huge range of after market parts etc. and never any issues with function and reliability. Never had to "true" one of them. My gunsmith is coming up 80 years old and been at it forever, he recently said to me that he can't figure out why anyone uses anything else. He is still hitting 1.5 inch targets at 600yards. I can swap the bolts around in my 308, 6.5mm creed and 6mm creed with no change in performance and the same with my 300wm and 338wm. That is consistency! [I have a variety of barrels on them but some have shot better than 0.5 inch groups with their factory barrels and hand loading]
I find this interesting because I was thinking about pulling the .25-06 barrel off my S&W 1500 and putting something else on it. Just not sure what. If I buy a magnum face bolt I can expand my options. Your thoughts?

I prefer custom as well. Once I started with them I couldn't not get more. I have stiller, defiance, terminus, kelbly, bighorn, impact, and ks sar and had surgeon and Curtis.

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David

I have a mix of Mainly Winchester CRF actions, Model 700 Remington Actions, and CZ actions.

If all I had were Winchester CRF actions and CZ actions I'd consider it ideal but it's also hard to argue with the success of the Rem 700 actions and clones modeled after them.

CZ's single set trigger is the best trigger I have ever touched.

I generally go with a Rem-700 or Mauser Action. The older Mauser action have a full proof safety on them. Triggertech I like there triggers. So I would go with Rem-700 Action. Long.
I have a CZ-24 Mauser I built into a .308 bench rest rifle years ago and still have not fired. Got to finish it. Ken Farrel bolt work and 20MOA rail. Adams and Bennet full bull barrel - maybe hit or miss, we will see. Timney trigger. I need to finish bedding the stock.

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David
I have 3 custom actions, 6.5x47 surgeon 591, 6.5saum Defiance tactical, and 6mm creed kelbly. They are all great, you couldn't go wrong with any of the 3.

David
For hunting, really with the exception of dangerous game, if the bolt face is true any action works just fine, a lot of the time it only needs to push one shell in. I have an trued howa, they're heavy like a sako with the flat iron bar underneath. Tikkas and 700s are better for weight savings, a lot of guys don't even bother truing tikkas. Like others have said, if ur going to buy and action and have it blueprinted, you're better to go custom, if you already have the action on hand well it'll work just fine. On the custom action I would study the features you're looking for. There's so many good ones available,

I have 700s, Stillers, and one Borden. My Edge is on a Mod 70 and is really accurate; never would have picked that action but bought the rifle due to price and group photos; it has a Benchmark bbl, which is another brand I would have never chosen deliberately.
What is it about benchmark you would never choose?