Actions - What do you use?

I've built a pile of savage rifles. I have truing reamers, bolt face cutters, lug lapping tools etc. They really don't need it due to the floating bolt head. Having said that, it was piece of mind more than anything, since they always cycled and shot very very well. They just feel weird due to the over cocking and how they cock. I would work over the bolt, firing pin etc and could get them to cycle with one finger.

For a remington footprint action, I am highly sold on Zermatt bighorn actions. A custom with savage tenon threads, remington foot print, and a changeable floating bolt head. Nothing to not like here. I can run shouldered prefit, or prefit threaded barrels from many reputable barrel suppliers and swap out barrels and heads in minutes.
I have an ultimatum deadline, same concept, 700footprint and trigger, savage tenon, interchangeable bolt head

I shoot stock factory guns 99% of the time. Stock as in Savage, Remington, Ruger, Browning A Bolts......not 2-3K "factory". Just about a week ago....banging 12" steel at 900yds (4-5" groups) using my $500 totally stock Savage 10TSR with my $700 Vortex. My customs (semi custom to many) are two trued 700's and a Defiance Anti (full custom) at the smiths. Only reason I went with the Defiance was because I could buy it about 400 cheaper than a 700 rifle to scavenge the action.

I have a Mausingfield (great), a 700 short action I put an M-16 extractor on and PTG bolt with M-16 extractor in a 700 long action. I have several Savage 110s and one 11. For the money, the Savage actions are the best. I always come back to a rifle with a properly chambered barrel as the best. Shilen barrels complete and ready to screw into a Savage or blanks that I work up: great barrel (floating), properly chambered and mounted on the action and action to the stock. Leaves it to me to show its potential.

I generally go with a Rem-700 or Mauser Action. The older Mauser action have a full proof safety on them. Triggertech I like there triggers. So I would go with Rem-700 Action. Long.

I have used
1. Kimber for CRF, bear gun, 375H&H
2. Pierce titanium for true ultralight 6.5 PRC
3. Christensen Arms, 300 wsm
4. Coming soon - teminus Kratos lite for a 300 WM.
5. Tikka 30-06. Definitely smoother than the CA.
6. Rem 700. Roooouuuugh. It was a newish one, felt like dragging sandpaper.

Have a feeling I will prefer the terminus above all others because of the bolt throw. The CA is just not that smooth to me and I hate the bolt handle. Tikka was nice, but did not care for OEM mags and bottom metal.
Kimber all the way if you want a CRF, the defiance option is crazy expensive to do the same thing.

Pierce is fantastic for as light as it is, but it's more of a specialty action in my opinion. I wouldn't build too much larger than a 6.5 on a titanium action. There is such a thing as "too light" in my opinion.

All depends on what is most important to you regarding ergonomics, bolt face availability, bolt throw, integral rail/recoil lug, etc. there are dozens of fantastic actions out there.

I would say buy from a company like Terminus or Pierce where they are proactive about customer service, involved on sites like this, and willing to shoot straight with you on lead times, etc. many companies/smiths over promise and then don't deliver when there is an abundance of customers.

@Joel Russo can help you out for sure.

For actions I prefer in order
Borden
Defiance
Nesika
Sako
Remington
My F class rifle is a Borden Brlxd 284 and a Nesika L in 6.5x47 lapua
My main hunting rifle is a Gap Templar which is a Defiance action 300 Win Mag. My new build in 280 Ackley is in a Defiance Anti. Should be done in a month or so.
Last is my Sako A7 300 win mag Which is much smoother than my Remington. The owner of Defiance was the original owner of Nesika so it's hard to see much of a difference since I have a older Nesika action. But I'm very curious about the Curtis actions
There are many actions to choose from good luck and have fun.
Jason

If you're going with a factory rifle, Tikka is awesome. The only draw back is mag length if you want to run heavy bullets in a magnum. If you're looking at a custom, Terminus is the way, I have a short action Zeus, long action Zeus, short action Apollo Lite and am waiting for a another short action Zeus to ship. Joel is top notch in his products and customer service.

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David
David
Well money is a big factor, but access to being able to get what you want is most important. Mainly depends on what type of shooting you are going to be doing, the options available in the action and especially with the bolt face to fit what you want to shoot. we use Defiance and think they are very good. Impact would be our first choice for a .308 bolt face and under.
If you want a repeater the I would say IMPACT, then Defiance. If going for larger calibers 338LM + We like BAT.($$$).
If you are just hunting there are at least a 1/2 dozen of great action that won't cost you a fortune and shoot great. what caliber. what are you hunting for, what distance are you comfortable in ethical harvest?
You don't need to spend thousands of $$$ for a hunting rifle. There are plenty of good off the shelf rifles. If you are going to build a rifle check the reasons for a custom build opposed to a factory rifle.
Once you get into custom then:
Action
Barrel
Stock
Trigger
Gunsmith to build?
Good luck and it's fun building a new rifle!

Curtis also

Last edited:
My preference is toward Sako and Tikka actions but I have several trued Remington 700s, as well. As far as customs go? I like the Terminus and Curtis actions. Any of these make a great action and are easy to build on and have good after market support. If I were starting from scratch I would build on a Tikka on the low end or a Terminus Zeus if money was not a real issue. Either action will serve you well and run better than most could shoot them.

Recent Posts