Actions - What do you use?

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David
Tikka are good but hard to come by and for hunting, proof carries carbon fiber barrels for it. I have been using Bighorn actions now for 7 years for builds up here origin and TL3s and doing proof shoulder fits and they work outstanding also for the cost of another barrel you can have a switch barrel set up for out cal in 20 or so mins. and Northlandshotting have them in stock now

I've built a pile of savage rifles. I have truing reamers, bolt face cutters, lug lapping tools etc. They really don't need it due to the floating bolt head. Having said that, it was piece of mind more than anything, since they always cycled and shot very very well. They just feel weird due to the over cocking and how they cock. I would work over the bolt, firing pin etc and could get them to cycle with one finger.

For a remington footprint action, I am highly sold on Zermatt bighorn actions. A custom with savage tenon threads, remington foot print, and a changeable floating bolt head. Nothing to not like here. I can run shouldered prefit, or prefit threaded barrels from many reputable barrel suppliers and swap out barrels and heads in minutes.

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David

Kauger Arms has become a favorite of mine. They have a number of really good features, and they are so smooth.
I have three of them now.

I have 700s, Stillers, and one Borden. My Edge is on a Mod 70 and is really accurate; never would have picked that action but bought the rifle due to price and group photos; it has a Benchmark bbl, which is another brand I would have never chosen deliberately.

For hunting rifles I've never had a bad Howa/Weatherby Vanguard. Huge range of after market parts etc. and never any issues with function and reliability. Never had to "true" one of them. My gunsmith is coming up 80 years old and been at it forever, he recently said to me that he can't figure out why anyone uses anything else. He is still hitting 1.5 inch targets at 600yards. I can swap the bolts around in my 308, 6.5mm creed and 6mm creed with no change in performance and the same with my 300wm and 338wm. That is consistency! [I have a variety of barrels on them but some have shot better than 0.5 inch groups with their factory barrels and hand loading]

Last edited:
I've got mostly Remington's but Pierce actions will be the only ones for me now. But I'm a little biased and it doesn't help that they're amazing actions. 😂

Ultimatum deadline, 700s, tikka, howa, sako,
Tikka for hunting and budget is hard to beat. Ultimatum is releasing a sa based on the tikka that looks interesting

One man's opinion having chambered and built on all of these for a hunting and target rifles.

#1 Kelbly's Atlas
#2 BAT
#3 Stiller
#4 Pierce
#5 Trued Remington
#6 Defiance