Actions and bedding question

sdkidaho

Maybe this is a dumb question but as I look at different things on how rifles are put together and the things they do to make them more accurate a question about the action and the bedding systems comes to mind.

Why aren't they one piece?

If so much effort is put into connecting these two items to improve accuracy then why doesn't anyone machine them so that they are once piece instead of two? The action and the bedding system all in one. Is it because of weight of materials or is there some other reason that this isn't done?

I'm sure this is a question that doesn't need to be asked but I haven't found anything that points me to the answer as to why they couldn't be one piece.

There are so many ways this question could be answered. The simplest is to say that it is much easier to bed the action in the stock with the conventional methods. It would be very labor intensive/nearly impossible to get the same results trying to fit the action perfectly to some sort of "bedding system" that is a perfect match with each and every action and then installed into a stock.

Many, but not all, benchrest rifles are built as "glue ins". The action itself is glued tight into the action, which makes a very solid and accurate, platform. The barrel is free floated and can be unscrewed without removing the action. The action can be unglued with application of heat. I have two competition rifles assembled in this manner.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.