Action weights (savage/Tikka)

T3ninja

I've got the bug to build another rifle.

I'm looking for bare action weights (receiver, bolt,trigger) I already have a savage I can pull apart for a donor, so I can get the weight from the savage, but if someone already has the numbers handy I won't have to tear the rifle apart.

Also, if anyone has a tikka using the long magazine that would fit in an XLR CHASSIS, can you tell me the max loaded cartridge length I could stuff in the mag... THANKS !!

Savage short action. 32.4oz with factory lug and barrel nut. Without lug and nut 30.3oz.

my research shows tikka about same at that 30oz (but it's a long/short action).

if you are debating I would recommend lean tikka.

Attachments

• B24568C7-6946-45A9-A94C-7DAC8B44F717.jpeg
    B24568C7-6946-45A9-A94C-7DAC8B44F717.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 187
Savage short action. 32.4oz with factory lug and barrel nut. Without lug and nut 30.3oz.

my research shows tikka about same at that 30oz (but it's a long/short action).

if you are debating I would recommend lean tikka.

Thank you. I can't decide what way to go. Savage would be significantly cheaper since I already have an action I can use. I know the tikka is much more refined and smooth. My plan is to build a lightweight 6.5 PRC. Barrels are priced the same, as is the chassis. It seems like the weight is going to be close enough to be a wash. The biggest thing I guess will be if I can get the room in the magazine out of a shot action savage to take advantage of the 6.5 PRC.

Thank you. I can't decide what way to go. Savage would be significantly cheaper since I already have an action I can use. I know the tikka is much more refined and smooth. My plan is to build a lightweight 6.5 PRC. Barrels are priced the same, as is the chassis. It seems like the weight is going to be close enough to be a wash. The biggest thing I guess will be if I can get the room in the magazine out of a shot action savage to take advantage of the 6.5 PRC.
I believe the answer to your question is no. Not from experience but from what I've read.

I built a 7wsm off my savage short action. OAL is 2.975". From what I've read for PRC you want to be closer to 3.1". I'm sure it will
Shoot fine but be limiting potential. Folks said same about 7wsm but I am happy with it and exceeded my velocity goals for the build. That said, the savage action IMO is bulky, isn't as smooth, and trigger isn't as good.

I also used a XLR magnesium for the savage. For savage that is the way to go. Tikka opens up some other doors.

Let me put it this way. With my above decision my gun shoots amazing (1/3MOA) and faster than I hoped. But based on the fact I invested in a $800 barrel, $800 stock, and probably $200 else, I wish I would have paid the $500 more and just got a tikka action because I like them more. Like you I had a 308 Savage to build from.

Last edited:
The Tikka actions are 30 oz including the 2.2 oz trigger. With bolt fluting and a titanium handle you can get them down under 28 oz including trigger. Most places won't flute savage bolts but you may be able to get a lighter handle. Even still the Tikka will be a solid 4 oz lighter including the trigger. The Tikka long action 3.56 mags that fit the XLR chassis allow 3.47" coal. Literally any 6.5 bullet in a PRC will fit with room to spare. Be aware that those mags are around 8 ounces though. I modified a magpul long action Mag to work with mine and it is under 3 oz and much quieter.
96E88BF5-D286-4608-8AE0-8D8E09B81D7D.jpeg F4D6CF58-FD6C-4ABA-98F6-BEB8B6C8283E.jpeg

Excellent. Thank you all, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I suppose I'm going to look for a tikka. I have bid on a few on GB , but I'm sure to be outbid since there's 3-4 days left on the auctions.

The Tikka actions are 30 oz including the 2.2 oz trigger. With bolt fluting and a titanium handle you can get them down under 28 oz including trigger. Most places won't flute savage bolts but you may be able to get a lighter handle. Even still the Tikka will be a solid 4 oz lighter including the trigger. The Tikka long action 3.56 mags that fit the XLR chassis allow 3.47" coal. Literally any 6.5 bullet in a PRC will fit with room to spare. Be aware that those mags are around 8 ounces though. I modified a magpul long action Mag to work with mine and it is under 3 oz and much quieter.
View attachment 283044 View attachment 283046
Can you PM me how you modified the magpul good Sir?