Action truing fixture

Pretty sure. I have good indicators and turned the bar between centers. If I can't turn an 8" bar to within .0005", I shouldn't be building rifles :)
I've made a lot of things I thought were good till I got an inspection plate and used correct methods to inspect, or I send it to my bro and he puts it under the CMM!

Bigngreen , Thanks for tip on swivel tip screws. Agree much better. Didn't know they had anything small like that. I see they have 1\4-20 size as smallest.

BigNgreen , Mc Master-Carr shows 3 types of swivel head screws even low profile ones. Which do you use? I would only hold something with these up to 2" OD. Thanks

I'll check out those screws. I already drilled and tapped for 3/8-24 and cut all the screws to size.

edit: checked out McMaster but they didn't have a 3/8-24 swivel end screw. Bummer

Last edited:
Very nice work. I wonder if the stick-out would be enough to allow chucking a 700 Long Action in my old Craftsman Atlas. Will have to do some measuring. I have no way to do that kind of work as the headstock thru-hole is only 3/4". Runout of the headstock might make working that far forward of the headstock bearings a problem. If I was younger, I would buy a new lathe but it is too late for that...

So if you had the appropriate slot milled in this fixture would it be a good setup for bolt face and lug trueing or would you be better off making a different fixture for that?

Not sure that it would be a great idea here, but in the past when I've needed a "swiveling head" on a screw I ran a center drill into the end deep enough for a ball bearing of appropriate size to firmly register in the divot. Degrease everything and apply epoxy in a temp fixture that allows you to tighten the screw against the ball, which is in turn hard against some sort of stop until the epoxy cures.

So if you had the appropriate slot milled in this fixture would it be a good setup for bolt face and lug trueing or would you be better off making a different fixture for that?
I'll do a different setup for that. Not saying it wouldn't work, I just haven't given it enough thought. Open to ideas!

I'll do a different setup for that. Not saying it wouldn't work, I just haven't given it enough thought. Open to ideas!
With some of the other ways I've seen it done I think this could definitely do double duty. Hell I've seen some chuck it up in a 3 jaw just aft of the handle and go to town. I do like that the bolts are close together so that should impart less stress and deflection on the action.

With some of the other ways I've seen it done I think this could definitely do double duty. Hell I've seen some chuck it up in a 3 jaw just aft of the handle and go to town. I do like that the bolts are close together so that should impart less stress and deflection on the action.
Send some pics of how it could do double duty. I'm game! The close screw idea came from Alex and BG's fixture I saw. I dont use a split ring or collett like they do.

You could do it like the Viper fixture in this pic. Depending on the clearances you could possibly stop the slot aft of your bolts

Attachments

• fixture.jpg
    fixture.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.