Action truing fixture

Mram10us

Been down with the flu and decided to get one of these made up to mount in my 3 jaw. Had a chunk of 3" bar stock that I turned down and bored to have .020" play for the action. Screws are flush mounted 3/8-24 socket head and 1" apart.
4749A874-A7AF-4C66-98BB-03D75922F50B.jpeg
916FD6CA-C016-406F-B110-FD5AE33581D0.jpeg
C8E69CB4-F328-4414-B63F-583BF8BB49EF.jpeg

Last edited:
glad your back on your feet. I hade it 2 weeks ago was not fun. the truing gigs I have seen have padded screws so they don't mar the action finish, maybe use brass shim material slid between action and screws or a rubber o-ring in the bolt holes. how is your ring die working if you had a chance to try it out

glad your back on your feet. I hade it 2 weeks ago was not fun. the truing gigs I have seen have padded screws so they don't mar the action finish, maybe use brass shim material slid between action and screws or a rubber o-ring in the bolt holes. how is your ring die working if you had a chance to try it out
I considered putting brass tips on the screws ... still might. I cerakote everything after building, so a little mar doesn't bother me, but never know when that might change.
Ring die worked great. .002" under target seemed to do the trick. Just need to get out on a decent day and shoot them.

Mram10us , use lead flat strips to wrap parts that don't want to marr. They are lead wraps for fishing lures. I got them off ebay whileback . Be happy send pic when back at machine shop if you want see.

Mram10us , use lead flat strips to wrap parts that don't want to marr. They are lead wraps for fishing lures. I got them off ebay whileback . Be happy send pic when back at machine shop if you want see.
Great idea, but how thick are they? I have less than .020" slop

McMaster Carr swivel tip set screws, you won't beat them and they will actually pivot and hold unlike anything solid tipped, if you put lead under anything it will move, .005 brass shim stock under the pivot screws will not move or compress but you have to have a set up bar that won't move either to tell!

Tried the jig tonight and it worked well. Took about 10 minutes to dial in with my .0005 indicators. After the machining, I put the bar back in to verify nothing moved and all was good. Just need a nice setup For threading in reverse at high speed. The carbide sure leaves a nice finish at 400+

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.