Action to stock torque values

Snake Plysken1

Hey, all. I accidentally posted this same inquiry in the reloading treads, and figured that this was the proper place to ask. I am awaiting the shipment of my Magpul 700 stock for my remmy 700 BDL. I do not know the torque values for the 2 action to stock bolts. I've seen in other treads on here conflicting values. One said 35 lbs. inch, and another tread said 65 lbs. inch. Does anyone know the proper value? Also, is it wise/unwise to locktite these bolts with medium strength blue locktite? Seems I've read a few treads on here regarding accuracy issues, and the fix was tightening up the loosened action bolts.
Thanks, all

Hey, all. I accidentally posted this same inquiry in the reloading treads, and figured that this was the proper place to ask. I am awaiting the shipment of my Magpul 700 stock for my remmy 700 BDL. I do not know the torque values for the 2 action to stock bolts. I've seen in other treads on here conflicting values. One said 35 lbs. inch, and another tread said 65 lbs. inch. Does anyone know the proper value? Also, is it wise/unwise to locktite these bolts with medium strength blue locktite? Seems I've read a few treads on here regarding accuracy issues, and the fix was tightening up the loosened action bolts.
Thanks, all

Torque values vary depending on materials and use. here is a general rule that works well for me.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/torque-recomendations-29756/

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

I "TUNE" my Savage actions using screw torque. Here is an article on it at accurateshooter.com. Different loads, rifles and stocks will LIKE different values. I have shrunk groups quite a bit doing this. You can use RECOMMENDED values and see if you are happy, but a tuning test only takes about 30 rds to accomplish and you will KNOW its shooting as well as it can.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...e-actions-using-action-screw-torque-settings/

JE and Todd, thanks again. You assisted me on my stock replacement issue, and your right here again with help on torque values. I have read that article from AS, and am willing to give it a shot(pun, LOL)). So, it sounds like, with the comments of anti sieze( love that stuff, btw.) and setting torque for accuracy tuning, it IS NOT reccomended to lock tite the bolts on the remmy, am I correct in assuming that?

Heck, having never ever replaced a stock, for all I know Magpul may have their own reccomendations in their instruction sheet, unless it's like an iPhone, and you gotta figure it all out! Thank goodness for this site and folks like you!

Thanks, all

This is what works for me. If it has an aluminum bedding block, or is aluminum pillar bedded, 65 inch-pounds. If it is a wood stock that has been bedded, 45 inch-pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.