Action suitability for 30SM?

[*]Lee Precision 300 winmag neck collet die for neck sizing (proven works perfectly on 300PRC)
[*]Lee Precision 300 winmag dead length bullet seater (proven works perfectly on 300PRC)

Thanks again for the inputs fellas ...

You have any links to that info? I really like my lee collet dies and if those will work for my 300prc I'll be buying one asap.

I've never understood this argument for it (not saying that you're wrong, just that I do t understand it.)

The forward section of the chamber may gmhave more support, but the portion inside the receiver is the same diameter as the Savage (smaller if you take thread pitch into account) won't it flex/stretch/explode at the weakest part of the pressure vessel (chamber) no matter where that part is since its all stressed similarly?
The whole reasoning behind the large shank barrels is to increase the chamber wall thickness beyond the action threads. This can either be done with a large shank action, or just using a shouldered barrel.

Either way, the 375 Ruger/PRC case will work fine on a small shank action. You're more likely to see lug setback issues anyway.

The whole reasoning behind the large shank barrels is to increase the chamber wall thickness beyond the action threads. This can either be done with a large shank action, or just using a shouldered barrel.

You're right about the reasoning, but, to me, it seems that only the larger chank addresses that. With a shouldered barrel you still have about an inch of barrel that is still the same size as the small shank.

If you haven't seen the Shilen Alternut addresses the "issue" of the small shank barrel nuts.

Alternut Drop-ins.
After numerous customer requests to design a drop-in barrel for the Remington Model 700 Shilen has done that and more by designing their NEW patent pending dual threaded Alternut System that will bring the ease and flexibility of drop-in barrels to even MORE platforms. The dual thread system was designed to increase the barrel diameter and wall thickness at the chamber end while still using a lock nut. To make things even easier for our customers these many configurations may use a Large Shank Savage lock nut. Alternut barrels come threaded and fully chambered to be installed into the action with no additional machining or modification needed.

You're right about the reasoning, but, to me, it seems that only the larger chank addresses that. With a shouldered barrel you still have about an inch of barrel that is still the same size as the small shank.
But that inch of barrel is surrounded by the action.

But that inch of barrel is surrounded by the action.

As a safety measure I'm sure that helps, but if your worried about the chamber expanding I don't think it makes much (if any) difference since there is play between the mating surfaces of the threads.

If you make that argument, then the same can me said for the inch in front of the recoil lug that the barrel nut covers. Gives you about 2 inches of 1.25" diameter if you look at it that way. That's as much or more than some light profile rem700 barrels.

If you haven't seen the Shilen Alternut addresses the "issue" of the small shank barrel nuts.

Alternut Drop-ins.
After numerous customer requests to design a drop-in barrel for the Remington Model 700 Shilen has done that and more by designing their NEW patent pending dual threaded Alternut System that will bring the ease and flexibility of drop-in barrels to even MORE platforms. The dual thread system was designed to increase the barrel diameter and wall thickness at the chamber end while still using a lock nut. To make things even easier for our customers these many configurations may use a Large Shank Savage lock nut. Alternut barrels come threaded and fully chambered to be installed into the action with no additional machining or modification needed.

Neat. I've thought of doing that myself but just assumed there's was some inherent problem with it since no one already had a system like that lol

@XSIVSPD - I don't have links on it ... I just did it myself to verify it works ... I took a once fired PRC case and ran it into my 300 winmag neck collet die from Lee ... just had to adjust a bit for slightly different case length ... then, I just used my 300 winmag dead length seater from Lee and seated a bullet ... worked great on the PRC. Don't know yet if I can run a 30SM into them as the diameter at the shoulder wall junction is a small amount larger and I won't know if there is enough clearance remaining until I get my hands on a fired 30SM case to verify the approach holds together for the improved ...

NOTE: I've used this approach with my 260 ackley using Lee 260 remington collet and dead length seater dies as well. It is important to ONLY do this using the neck collet and the dead length seater dies ... standard neck dies and seaters will NOT work with this method.

Here is a 300 winmag and a dummy 300 prc I used this method on ...

1606799250353.png

@nkyshooter

Thanks for the info! That's awesome news.

When you say that you had to adjust for the longer case length with the collet die, what did you need to do? Shim the die or..?

Thanks!

@XSIVSPD - I had to adjust for "different" length - the PRC is a pinch shorter but not so much as to impact ... I just had to back the collet adjustment out the top some, get the case in place inside the die, bring the collet adjustment back in until it stopped, withdraw the case and bring the collet down a bit more until I had the "feel" right ... really no different than adjusting for the first time with any Lee collet die ... it just works.

You won't have any issues with that on a small shank, I would however strongly recommend throwing the once fired Hornady brass in the garbage can where it should be and start with new ADG, your borrowing all kinds of trouble!!

Thanks for the inputs - I've been following the PRC Dies "Problem" thread closely ... "IF" I was going 300PRC I'd be right there with you ... however - since the spec on the 30SM is a few thousandths more open at the base of the chamber, I don't anticipate the 'clickers' being a problem for my approach. Maybe there are other issues I'm not aware of that I should be concerned with?

That being said, I'm a fan of Lapua brass and ADG clearly has a positive reputation here ... I may end up going the ADG route in the end and if I run into issues related to brass, 30SM brass from Sherman, Lapua 300 PRC, and ADG 300 PRC are all on the short list ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.