Action suitability for 30SM?

nkyshooter

So - I've been getting ready to order either a 300PRC or a 30SM barrel for a Savage 110 with magnum bolt face (currently mated to a 300 Winmag barrel) that I have on hand. The more I read - combined with my personal experience with Ackley Improved wildcats - I am currently heavily leaning toward the 30SM.

However, the action I have on hand for this is a standard shank - not a large shank -and my question is this:

should I have any receiver strength concerns in a small shank action for a 30SM?

Thanks ...

So - I've been getting ready to order either a 300PRC or a 30SM barrel for a Savage 110 with magnum bolt face (currently mated to a 300 Winmag barrel) that I have on hand. The more I read - combined with my personal experience with Ackley Improved wildcats - I am currently heavily leaning toward the 30SM.

However, the action I have on hand for this is a standard shank - not a large shank -and my question is this:

should I have any receiver strength concerns in a small shank action for a 30SM?

Thanks ...

The short answer is yes! If it is strong enough for .300 WM then it is strong enough for either of your goals. BTW, I have 110 LA small shank in 7MM STW in a single shot. I too am considering building a .300 PRC with also a 110 LA small shank.

You should be good. I'm no expert but a guy that won the king of two miles built a rifle for me and it was a lapua improved on savage action. He said the pressure is no higher just more powder to burn. Think how many small rounds use 65k psi and how many large ones are a bit less.
Like stated if it hold 300 win you are good the PRC is not much more and to me not worth the PRC change. But the 30 Sherman is enough to make it worth it. Hence why I just got one

Thanks for the inputs so far guys - encouraging that the prevailing notions seem to be same as my beliefs/hope ...

Any gunsmiths with Savage small shank vs large shank action knowledge that could offer thoughts on this?

Looks like 300 Winmag SAAMI MAP is 64k and 300 PRC SAAMI MAP is 65k - so 'essentially' same ... assuming 30SM is going to be in ballpark. Do any of you know if there is a "max" MAP for the Savage small shank long action?

Thanks much in advance ...

The outside of the receiver is the same diameter no matter if it's a large shank or small. They have the same total amount of material there, just in different places.
It seems like the only rifles that only come in large shank are catriges that are wsm, rum, nosler, and lapua based. This is because the diameter of that brass is larger than the typical 300win/7mm rem brass and leaves less material immediately around the chamber. 300prc or 30sm are smaller diameter so don't *NEED* this.

If you're super concerned though, you could always have Gunsmith open you action up to accept the large shank barrels. You just won't be able to use small shank ones on it again.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned with it. Which is why my savage prc is a small shank 😉

Last edited:
He said the pressure is no higher just more powder to burn. Think how many small rounds use 65k psi and how many large ones are a bit less.
Dead wrong right there. 65Kpsi in a 223rem is way different than 65Kpsi in a 300wm.
PSI => pounds per square INCH

OP, I know nothing of a 30SM but if you don't have sufficient barrel steel around a chamber the case will expand more and require more body sizing. More trimming, and pockets will loosen faster.
The action ring & threads don't really count to stop a chamber from expanding.
So a magnum diameter cartridge (like a WSM/WSSM) needs a magnum diameter tenon.

@XSIVSPD ... was this a typo? ... did you mean to say you "would NOT be concerned with it"

1606699775134.png

Thanks

Also keep in mind that they build 338 lapuas on rem 700 which has the same diameter tennon (less if you take thread root diameter into account) as a small shank savage.

That's not an accurate comparison. The concern with the Savage small shank barrels is that the barrel diameter around the chamber is relatively small because of the barrel nut, it's not directly related to the thread tennon. A Savage prefit barrel has a smaller diameter around the chamber than a shouldered Rem 700 barrel. The concern with the Lapua bolt face on standard Savage (and Rem 700 actions) is more about the strength of the bolt lugs and abutments than the barrel tennon. That's why the lugs on a factory Lapua bolt face are so much thicker.

I've had small shank RUM barrels and they worked without an issue; I tend to think that a large shank is a better option though. You could always have a smith chamber a shouldered barrel for you and then you don't have to worry about it.

That's not an accurate comparison. The concern with the Savage small shank barrels is that the barrel diameter around the chamber is relatively small because of the barrel nut, it's not directly related to the thread tennon. A Savage prefit barrel has a smaller diameter around the chamber than a shouldered Rem 700 barrel..

I've never understood this argument for it (not saying that you're wrong, just that I do t understand it.)

The forward section of the chamber may gmhave more support, but the portion inside the receiver is the same diameter as the Savage (smaller if you take thread pitch into account) won't it flex/stretch/explode at the weakest part of the pressure vessel (chamber) no matter where that part is since its all stressed similarly?

Thanks all for the inputs ... much appreciated.

For what it is worth, while I don't believe it is completely insignificant, I don't think the barrel diameter forward of the action and the barrel nut forward of the action are the areas of greatest concern for me ... all pressure signs I've ever witnessed/experienced all occurred at or near the primer of the case (flattened/cratered primers, primers blown out of pockets, shiny ejector marks, difficulty lifting bolt due to increased pressure at bolt face pushing lugs back against the receiver)

If there is a 'smith that has professional expertise on this - please don't hesitate to weigh in ...

For now ... I am thinking I am going to give it a go with the 30SM and the Small Shank Long Action.

This build is what I plan to use for my personal journey to connect with a 5 gallon bucket at 1 mile.

Current build plan is:
  • Savage small shank long action with magnum boltface
  • Accutrigger with replacement target spring (1-3 lbs)
  • 24" or 26" heavy 1:8 twist barrel - .850" at muzzle - 5/8x24 threaded - hope to nitride
  • Chambered for 30 Sherman Magnum (thanks @elkaholic )
  • Ross Schuler 4 port brake
  • Precision ground 1/4" recoil lug
  • Precision ground/squared barrel nut
  • HS Precision composite stock with aluminum bedding block
  • 3.850 Savage/MDT factory bottom metal from 110 FCP HS 338 Lapua
  • 3.850 CIP .300WM/300PRC single stack magazine
  • EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail
  • SWFA 5-20 MilQuad (rings TBD - have a couple sets laying around)
  • 100 pcs Hornady once fired 300 prc
  • Lee Precision 300 winmag neck collet die for neck sizing (proven works perfectly on 300PRC)
  • Lee Precision 300 winmag dead length bullet seater (proven works perfectly on 300PRC)
  • Full length sizing die - TBD
Thanks again for the inputs fellas ...
t

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts