Action Strong Enough

Wild Bill, I spoke to many of the custom action makes and realized the same thing. A few make actions for the 416 rigby boldface, but most do not.

If you went with the lott, would you put a brake on it?
I may shoot it first then decide since I don't really like brakes, but I guess sometimes you just need one.

[ QUOTE ]
Wild Bill, I spoke to many of the custom action makes and realized the same thing. A few make actions for the 416 rigby boldface, but most do not.

If you went with the lott, would you put a brake on it?
I may shoot it first then decide since I don't really like brakes, but I guess sometimes you just need one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes put a Viass brake on it you can also have a flush fitted cap made to cover the thread if you decide to take it off. You can get a HS precision detachable magazine to take the 375 H&H that will feed the Lott into a Remington action if you go that way. Also if you have a cap on the brake and get somewhere that they tell you you cant use it you can screw it off and use the rife without it. i have shot 2 460's as stated earlier and most of the large Weatherby rifles come with porting and i have never heard that they could not use their rifle because of it.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Also if you go with a 416 the 375 Ultra mag necked to 416 is an awsome performer but it daes not give you any options if you loose your supply of ammo. It will give you performance just under the 416 WBY but you can down load it to a lighter pressure and still pass the Rigby in energy and velocity. Laos ultra mag cases are cheap so you dont wory about them asmuch and just a full lenght size with a tapered expander and you have the 416 Ultra mag.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Or you can load the Rigby up to nearly match 416 Wea. and surpass the 416 Ultra
Although there is no need to load higher than 2400 fps, faster does not increase on game performance it only makes them reciol more and harder to shoot.

If you want CRF in a left handed action, Montana Rifle actions are an excellent choice they are backordered right now at the factory, but should be shipping any day. They will handle the 458 lott or the 416 Rem but not the 416 Rigby or 460 Weatherby. MR also sells barreled actions and has gunsmith services.

I have a Win mod70 416 Rem that I love too shoot, it is a great Buffalo rifle, but it is not a charge stopping rifle. If you are willing to trust someone else to pull your bacon out the fire if [censored] hits the fan then the .416Rem or Rigby is all you need. I personally prefer to know that I can handle what ever happens. If there is a wounded animal to follow in the thick stuff he's mine to sort out the PH can back me up. This might not be for every one, but if I pay $10,000 and travel to Africa it's not to watch a PH shoot my animal.

Also the H&H based cases have a larger Magazine capacity than the Rigby or Weatherby cases.

BP-Tech makes a muzzle break that does not increase the noise level, and is tunable for muzzle lift.

DR B

Montana Rifle Co

BP-TEC

I have heard some negative comments about montana rifle actions. Plus, they are molded, not machined.
I would be reluctant to put one in a DG rifle.

If I did go with a brake, I would be a Vais or Answer.

by bjlooper
I have a Win mod70 416 Rem that I love too shoot, it is a great Buffalo rifle, but it is not a charge stopping rifle. If you are willing to trust someone else to pull your bacon out the fire if [censored] hits the fan then the .416Rem or Rigby is all you need. I personally prefer to know that I can handle what ever happens. If there is a wounded animal to follow in the thick stuff he's mine to sort out the PH can back me up. This might not be for every one, but if I pay $10,000 and travel to Africa it's not to watch a PH shoot my animal.
I have a difficult time believing that a 416 would be under gunned to stop a chargeing Buffalo unless you missed.

jwp475
Belive it or not DG Stopping rifles start at 458 Lott and go up. The 416 Rigby is a good comprmise between a DGR and a Plains game rifle, but it's not a stopper.
When you have a ****ed Buff charge from 20' in thick brush and you only have one shot before you become current jelly your rifle is never big enough, and I certanly wnat more than a 416 Rigby. Are if jumbo is so close that you have to shoot up through the jaw for a brain shot or in the chest a 416 will give you less than a 50/50 chance. Those arn'tthe odds I want.
DR B

Harry Shelby used a 416 Rigby as his stopping rifle for years with no problem,and only stopped useing it when he sent it back to Rigby to be rebarreled, According to Harry it worked just fine. Ross Seyfried whom hunted and guided in Africa for a number of years started of useing a 577 Nitro express and went to a 450 Nitro Express and the to a 416. Ross told me personaly that a 416 was all that was needed and the only way to make a mistake in chooseing one would be to get confused and buy one with a 45 caliber hole in the barrel. The 416 with a 400 grain solid is one of the best penetrsators out there. I don't know where you come up with a 50-50 chance with a 416, but I am not buying it.Ross used a 416 to back up clients and he told me that it would more than do the job as a back rifle on buffalo. I have shot a large number of big rifles up to and includeing the 505 Gibbs and while they are fun and interesting they are not needed. Ross Seyfried also said that true stopping rifles start at 577 and up.

An overwhelming number of PH's carry the 458 Lott. Recoil is close with the 416 Rigby & 458 Lott, but the Lott does have a bigger diameter. Plus, the lott can use 458 Win ammo which can be found easier if needed and can be built on a wide variety of actions.

If you compare the 458 Lott to the 460 wby or 450 dakota you get about half the recoil with the lott. Yes, I may ONLY be hitting him with 5600 lbs of energy vs 6700 lbs, but so what if I can't shoot straight. In fact, if I can't shoot straight and wound him, I'm more likely to get charged!

Seems to me that the 458 lott is the best choice for a DG rifle....even if you can stop a charge with a 416 Rigby.

Roll-Your-Own
You are correct the Montana Action is cast. The company that does the casting is owned by Ruger and also cast the Ruger actions. I've talked to a couple of gunsmithis that use the montana actions and strength is not a problem. The tolerances on the ruger and Montana action arn't as tight as you would want on a long range hunting rifle or competition gun, but this loosenesss is desrible on a DGR that will be used on a dusty safari. with DGR reliabilty is paramount not accurcy, as long as you can hit a grapfruit at fifty yards you have enough accracy. Rember the post about Mark V actions sticking this is what happen with a actin that is to tight.

DR B

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts