Action Strong Enough

Roll-Yur-Own

Hi guys, I'm looking to build a dangerous game rifle. I want to build a 450 Dakota which is ballistically the same as 460 Wby.

My question is what action?

I don't know if I need to spend the $$$ on a custom if my shots with this gun will be inside 200 yards. But, would a rem be strong enough? Sako? Mauser?

Any help would be appreciated.

You will need a large action bigger than a Rem action you may be able to build it on a Magnum Ruger action that was a 416 Rigby but i believe a Wetherby would be the best commercial action. Otherwise a custom or even an AR30 would work. Another option if you want to use a rem action get a 375RUM and neck it to 458 and shoot a 458 ultra mag it will fit through the Rem action and be alot cheeper to get cases for and also build. I would probably go for a 416 version though but you must get costing of all the components you want to use includidn dies and cases if you loose a 375 ultra case it is nowhere the cost of a dakota case.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill, the problem with that is that I don't want to use the jeffries case that the RUM's are based on. I assume the 375 is also based on that case?

I want to base it on the 416 Rigby case because I want a fatter case.

What do you think of the CZ action?

Thank You,
Roll-Yur-Own

I have a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 416 Rigby and I think it's a pretty strong action for a case like your talking about.
It might be for sale if your looking of one, haven't decided if I want to part with it yet though.
If interested email me and we can discuss it.
Click on my name at the side of the post to see my email address.
Regards,
Wayne aka WAMBO

Thanks Guys, but for me building the rifle to my own specs is what its all about.

In factory actions, I think I'm limited to CZ or Ruger, or of course weatherby. For the price of a weatherby I could buy a custom action.

Can you guys suggest any custom actions.

Are you planning to use this gun as a "game stopper" in case of a charge? or are you just wanting a cannon?
if its gonna be a defemse weapon then you to look at reliability also , just incase that first round doesen't do the trick.

Yes, It for dangerous game. If I just wanted a cannon, I'd build a 408 CT or 50 BMG.

I want a McMillan stock, Jewell Trigger, a 22 or 23" Lilja Barrel. Just need to figure out what action to put it on.

Hi i have fired the 460's jap and german made and do not like the rifles by design or looks. I would look for a Ruger in 416 the CZ action is OK but there have been issues here in Australia where they will lock up on you and very hard to unlock if a charge happens. You could also get a Sako TRG but verry expensive rifle or action. Any rifle that is chambered for 416 Rigby or 338 Lapua would be suitable but i would be wary of the CZ Sorry. Thats just my personal experience. The Large ring Mauser could be an option if you have it tested and x Ray'd then get the mag and other components. I believe the Ruger would be your best option you have a drop mag action sights and trigger to start with all you would require is a rebarrel and re stock if you did not like the Ruger Safari stock. The Ruger is also Stainless so you could get a stainless barrel aswell and have it all painted in one of the new high tec firearms paints or just have the action painted and fit a blued barrel.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Rollyour own
I have been looking at this same project. I'm going with either 460 wby of 500 A-square which is based on the 460 wby case. I'm using the 416 rigby CZ action for $500- $600 . CZ sells straight actions so you don't have to find a donor rifle.
If this is going to be a true DGR then you need to consider a action with control round feed. They are knowed for their reliabilty. Weatherby is push feed just like Rem 700 so both are out for DRG. Besides the WBY is ledgen for breaking on hunts.
As far as ruger it will cost you $1000+ for a action, and ruger is the one rifle action that I won't own (personal Preference).
Good Luck Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles has a 460 wby reamer and has built several of them on CZ actions.

Weaver Rifles

I looked into the ruger actions. You are right it cost over around $1600 to buy a Ruger safari rifle. I could buy a custom for that!

I'm going to check out some custom actions then make my decision.

What other advantage would you have over the weatherby action besides the feed?

Thanks!
Roll-Yur-Own

the weatherbys are build a little on the tight side and all those locking lugs arn't known for making thigs relaible if they get dirty.
I have a Wby mkV chambered in 460 it has a custom 24" barrel with no brake and I have to say the recoil is very abusive , I bought 2 boxes of shells for it and still have 19 rounds left. I personaly don't think that all this power is called for but I'm gonna put a Vias Brake on it and see how that does

But as far as the action strength the Wby mkV is a tough one but if you got a good old Mauser or one of the big CZ's you should be fine

460 WBY with NO brake!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The recoil on that is over 2 times the recoil of a 340 weatherby!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts