Action screw hit bolt on 700

I swapped stocks on my Remington 700, and the action screw went in a bit deeper than the factory stock. The result was a bit of bolt interfeeence, and now my bolt is scuffed/damaged from the contact.
Is this one of those things that I should care about, or will it be fine and wear in eventually?(I have fixed the action screw interference, just worried about the marked up lug)
View attachment 214280
Nope

clean up and shorten screw. Heck I bought a bag of screws that are longer for replacement screws. If u get replacements screws that are not OEM make sure you get the better grade ones. Think the ones I got 20 years ago were machine grade. Got a bag of 20 for 5 bucks.

1. You should have felt the screw hitting the bolt from the start. 2. Are the thread long enough that attaching the action to the stock presently doesn't bottom out, so the stock to action is tight. 3. If that action isn't tight, you are going to have problems. The threaded section of the screw seem to be long enough in this stock to get proper contact from what I can read. Take a look inside were the screw is projecting out if possible to determine how much needs to be removed. If can't be seen then a little at a time of the thread end until the bolt is clear of the screw. I would think that should be enough room to allow for one thread to project above the area and clear the bolt at the same time. As you are working on this screw be careful that your thread are set to start the screw into the action correctly and not damaging the threaded sections. No force and by hand only. If it doesn't start some work on the start of the thread needs to be done. A die should be acquired to make sure the thread are correct each time. Not knowing for sure what the length needs to be. If you have a tap and die set should have that die in there to to the work. Be sure you have the correct die with proper threads per inch.

I swapped stocks on my Remington 700, and the action screw went in a bit deeper than the factory stock. The result was a bit of bolt interfeeence, and now my bolt is scuffed/damaged from the contact.
Is this one of those things that I should care about, or will it be fine and wear in eventually?(I have fixed the action screw interference, just worried about the marked up lug)View attachment 214280
I don't believe the action screws are all the same length. Before doing any filing check to make sure you didn't reverse them i.e. the long one is now in front rather than the rear hole. Just a thought.

I am an old Carpenter that work with a lot of al-thread and the requirements were : At lease 1 thread to show belong the top of the nut or place that a bolt or al-thread threads into. Now firearms probably a little different. It may just flush out because of the clearance. The because there was some worry about have enough thread into the action for hold.

Last edited:
I don't believe the action screws are all the same length. Before doing any filing check to make sure you didn't reverse them i.e. the long one is now in front rather than the rear hole. Just a thought.
Your a right on that. From the one, The stocks I have glassed bedded, there was a different from the front and rear screw.Sometime as many as three screws. I don't how that could happen, but I haven't had that many firearms apart to know if there some that are the same length. So I stand corrected. Thanks

Lol we have all been guilty of that. Especially when you get a new stock and you want to fiddle with it
Work it a little bit with 400-grit emery cloth, dab a drop of cold blue on it, and you won't be able to tell anything happened. The top of the lug is in contact with nothing.

I added a spacer under the mag well and eliminated the contact. I more concerned about the damage too the bolt lug. Everything seams fine, just a bit tougher than it was to close the bolt.
With the front guard screw backed out a couple turns so you are positive you have clearance, how does the bolt cycle ? Does it move forward freely ? Does it rotate downward freely ?

A harmless lesson learned. BTW, saw a factory 700 with the scope mount screw hole drilled and tapped into the chamber from the factory. THAT WAS A BIG PROBLEM. Every case expanded into the hole and ruined brass.
I had something similar happen when I remounted a NF 20 MOA pic rail on my CA 300 WM rifle. I mounted it with the bolt out, and then couldn't advance the bolt all the way to close it. Finally I realized that the rear-most of the two front screws was over the lugs when they were in the advanced position, ready to be rotated closed. I swapped the front screws, and low-and-behold, the other front screw was a little shorter and allowed the bolt to be advanced all the way. I wonder if this was because the screw hole in the pic rail was drilled out a couple 1/1000's deeper? Anyway, swapping the screws solved the problem.

Last edited:
XS24-7: I notice a couple of arrows under your bench. Do you keep as many spare arrows as you do cartridges?
(BTW: you are going to LOVE the Trigger Tech trigger!)
Almost....excluding rimfire I likely have more arrows right now.....I better load some more ammo...
The trigger tech is great. I had a Timney in it before, but this is a nice step up and the adjustment system is much easier.

Is this one of those things that I should care about, or will it be fine and wear in eventually?(I have fixed the action screw interference, just worried about the marked up lug)View attachment 214280
Just use 400 grit sandpaper and a popsicle stick to knock the burr off and it will be fine, I did the same thing on my model 70 Winchester and it never hurt nothing but my feelings 😂😂😂

Your a right on that. From the one, The stocks I have glassed bedded, there was a different from the front and rear screw.Sometime as many as three screws. I don't how that could happen, but I haven't had that many firearms apart to know if there some that are the same length. So I stand corrected. Thanks
In the Rem 700 action, the rear screw is longer than the front in rifles I have, made by 3 different mfrs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.