action quality question

Shane Lindsey - my concern with a shouldered prefit is after torquing it to spec then having it fail the go/no-go gauge test what's next - take it to a gunsmith? With your shouldered prefit build, which action were you using?
Thanks.
I eliminated this foreseeable problem by using barrel nuts. My Forster gauges make a pretty tight chamber. I am able to set the dimensions on headspace where I want it. No monkey circus blame game between manufacturers.

I was able to get an older 110 Savage stock from McMillan before the new ownership. I don't think they are offering as much aftermarket stuff for the little guys anymore.

Seems like Tikka has the best of the ones OP mentioned.
I've noticed that too. Manners has stopped inletting for Win 70s also. They're dead to me now. :D

Yupp, I help bed a friends Savage 338 Lapua into a Manners a few years ago. Got my Savage 338 and reached out and they said they no longer did them for the LA Savages. I believe they do the SAs though.
Nope. Won't do any savages anymore. Stockys has some good options and I believe Mesa is making them now

Mesa will be the direction when they start making for the LA.

Seems like the demand for the custom actions has driven these stock manufactuers to stop making their same $$$ figure stocks for the other actions they used to. Surprising as the machines were inletting them before, why not now? $650-$1000 for a Savage stock is the same a $650-$1000 for custom action stock.

Turned off by both McMillan and Manners now lately.

I assume its really not Profitable to run low volume stock inlets when you've got backorders for almost a year on stuff like the TCS that's only 700 short even. How else do you reduce insane lead times but cut options and raise prices?

Mcmillan seems to be getting righted a bit, I talked to them about a tikka inlet for their new game warden lr that's 700 only and they said they were working on it and hope to be done soon.

I wanted to try ag composites but they have a weirdo policy where tikka stocks have to be ordered through a gunsmith which is just bizarre and a total pain.

The world revolves around the 700 short good or bad

I'm soliciting opinions regarding quality of factory built actions for a DIY custom build.

Rem 721 adjustable shoulder
Savage LA or SA adjustable shoulder
Howa 1500 LA adjustable shoulder
Tikka T3x fixed shoulder.

Headspace will be set using appropriate go/no-go gauges for an adjustable shoulder build, but I'm not certain if I should do that with a Tikka T3x fixed shoulder build. Barrel/barrel nuts will be torqued to manufacturer's spec with appropriate torque wrench.

This is a "practice" build to gain experience before I purchase a high end custom action such as Zermatt, Curtis, etc. None of these builds are intended for competitive shooting just my personal plinking/hunting use.

Feedback/advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Why not have the cost of a practice build go towards your full custom build instead?

I think that rifle has over 100,000 rounds on it if it's the one I'm thinking of.

The guy walks the walk, it isn't just talk.

Simply having a barrel made with flats on it so a guy can just swap barrels with an adjustable wrench like that is brilliant.

Simple and just works, they're tools, use them as such, if there were problems doing it this way he wouldn't be doing it.

Though I'm not in this game anymore, my one rifle now is a 458 lott with irons made as a stopper, and it'll hunt whatever I hunt, from coyotes to bear.

The guy walks the walk, it isn't just talk.

Simply having a barrel made with flats on it so a guy can just swap barrels with an adjustable wrench like that is brilliant.

Simple and just works, they're tools, use them as such, if there were problems doing it this way he wouldn't be doing it.

Though I'm not in this game anymore, my one rifle now is a 458 lott with irons made as a stopper, and it'll hunt whatever I hunt, from coyotes to bear.
I think I would actually feel more confident in this way, than the ones I've seen with just a 15 inch pound switch lug.

Feenix : I've been asking myself the same question. The practice build experience is worth the money - it may help me make a more informed choice on a full custom build. Thanks for your suggestion.

The comments on this thread are extremely helpful. I'm learning alot listening to others.

Recent Posts