action quality question

dynafit

I'm soliciting opinions regarding quality of factory built actions for a DIY custom build.

Rem 721 adjustable shoulder
Savage LA or SA adjustable shoulder
Howa 1500 LA adjustable shoulder
Tikka T3x fixed shoulder.

Headspace will be set using appropriate go/no-go gauges for an adjustable shoulder build, but I'm not certain if I should do that with a Tikka T3x fixed shoulder build. Barrel/barrel nuts will be torqued to manufacturer's spec with appropriate torque wrench.

This is a "practice" build to gain experience before I purchase a high end custom action such as Zermatt, Curtis, etc. None of these builds are intended for competitive shooting just my personal plinking/hunting use.

Feedback/advise is appreciated.

Thanks

For those who respond, explain the reasons for choosing one action versus another. I have very little knowledge/experience with building rifles. I've just been shooting various US factory rifles through the years and would like to try my hand at building something unique while not blowing myself to kingdom come.

Tikka

Hell I'd take the tikka over the zermatt too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tikkas are just good in all the right places right from the factory, true, great trigger, bolt that is almost impossible to bind, good bolt throw, very fast action. I have a shouldered prefit on mine and it does not leave me desiring really anything at all.

It's the price of a starter and the quality of a forever.

Last edited:
Savages are easy to work on. Easy to swap bolt heads and barrels. Lots of cheap factory barrels out there. Not much for stocks but improving. A vice and a nut wrench are all that's needed

Tikkas are simple but in my experience need better tools to remove barrels. They really stick.

Howas are nice and smooth. Japanese built. Good tolerances. Very little out there for barrels and stocks but improving.

Bighorns are the best of savages and the best of Remington. Savage threads. Interchangeable bolt heads and a Remington 700 footprint

Have done a few Savage and Remage garage builds myself because I had the actions already. All but one has shot very well.

That said, if starting from scratch, the shouldered prefit would be my direction just because it is easier. Spin it on and torque it down. Check the headspace. Done.

I have struggled with getting the headspace right on the "nutted" version when I go to torque it down. Got it all settled, but just my experience or lack there of.

Shane Lindsey - my concern with a shouldered prefit is after torquing it to spec then having it fail the go/no-go gauge test what's next - take it to a gunsmith? With your shouldered prefit build, which action were you using?
Thanks.

So using the action they are making the prefit for they are guaranteed for that. Send it back to them, probably with the action. Those action tolerances allow them to have confidence in the prefit. Savage and Remington, not so much. I know nothing of Howa.

Tikka on your list has prefits.

You can do the Savage or Remage because it is variable with the barrel nut. You set the headspace then torque it down. Vice the barrel maker setting it.

The Tikka T3 is the same 1*20TPI threads, as every Ruger bolt action built. So DIY re-barrels with a nut system is every bit as easy/common as any Savage is. Patriot valley,or Pacific Tool both stock barrel nuts, which take a standard 1-1/16" end wrench (Patriot) or AR armorer wrench.

Cheers

I'm soliciting opinions regarding quality of factory built actions for a DIY custom build.

Rem 721 adjustable shoulder
Savage LA or SA adjustable shoulder
Howa 1500 LA adjustable shoulder
Tikka T3x fixed shoulder.

Headspace will be set using appropriate go/no-go gauges for an adjustable shoulder build, but I'm not certain if I should do that with a Tikka T3x fixed shoulder build. Barrel/barrel nuts will be torqued to manufacturer's spec with appropriate torque wrench.

This is a "practice" build to gain experience before I purchase a high end custom action such as Zermatt, Curtis, etc. None of these builds are intended for competitive shooting just my personal plinking/hunting use.

Feedback/advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Out of your list, Savage is the most DIY friendly, followed by R721.

Think aftermarket support too. Not much for Howa or Savage in the way of decent stocks/chassis when compared to Tikka and 700 clones.

I was able to get an older 110 Savage stock from McMillan before the new ownership. I don't think they are offering as much aftermarket stuff for the little guys anymore.

Seems like Tikka has the best of the ones OP mentioned.