Action / Bolt Coatings

Huntnpak - why is nitriding not an option worth considering?
I am considering Nitriding process as well.
Just not in this thread. I will be researching that option as well starting with the manufacturer recommendation. It is a process that not all manufacturers warranty unless thru a qualified source or straight from the manufacturer.

As I understand it the process alters the material
Some what. That in itself lends itself to poor outcome if done incorrectly. I would be hesitant to have it done outside of the manufactures warranted source.

I'll research that process fully before I make my decision.

I didn't think about that, I use them in my ARs but the color and reflectivity might not be appropriate for the application. Good choice though if you can find someone to do it..
Re: Nickel-Teflon or Nickel-Boron coatings; Nickel-Teflon is a nice, low sheen medium gray. It will "bright spot" where it repeatedly slides against a holster or scabbard or the like. Much like what bluing does in the same situation. Prior to Weatherby making actual SS rifles they used this coating on their all-weather rifles. The salt-spray corrosion test results for this coating are pretty remarkable. Possibly better than the 400 series SS's used in making rifles.

Nickel-Boron is a bit brighter and I'd only consider it for the bolt body and not the whole rifle.

Last edited:
In chelate '90s I had my stainless steel .300 Win mg Browning A-Bolt black Teflon coated. About as durable as Cerakote, if not more so. The bolt ran very smoothly after that process. My local Gander Mountain shop sent it to a company that coated weapons for the Naval Special Warfare Unit. The workmanship was excellent.
Now I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt and the Talley scope rings coated with bronze Cerakote. Looks nice and wears well.

IF you get Cerakote be sure too get the version that is self-lubricating.

I sent a Borden action I had to H&M for Nitride treatment. The turn around time was 7 days and they are great to work with. The cost was $250 for up to 5 actions. Anything over 5 was an additional $50. I only had one action but was able to throw in a couple of bags of stainless steel screws and a few other items without any extra charge. The only thing that might be a problem is if the bolt handle is soldered on. It might not hold up to the heat going through the process and need to be re-attached afterwards.
Hey Tucker, will you share contact info for H&M please? Thanks.

Lubaloy??? out of Texas makes the most bullet proof coating I've ever seen on a rifle. I guess it's not so much a coating as it is a molecular bonding with the metal but a guise that I know had one of his rifles done by them at least 20 yrs ago and still not a spot of rust anywhere and it does not scratch.

Just to throw another option out there:

The firearms industry is probably not their main focus, NASCAR and industrial use is. But they have a lot of high-tech options and can explain them well.

Thx, but not looking for information here on Nitriding process, I've directed my inquiry to the action manufacturer in that regard. And would only Consider their approved source.

Looking for information primarily on Coatings
Such as DLC, etc: and sources to contact.
Thx.
Try Birdsong in Florence, MS. I have several rifles they have done and they do a great job at a great price. There bread and butter is US military work but they have a reasonable turnaround on call in orders as well.

Just to throw another option out there:

The firearms industry is probably not their main focus, NASCAR and industrial use is. But they have a lot of high-tech options and can explain them well.
I didn't know they do firearm work. I am putting together an engine now using their bearings. Nice stuff! Have you used them? If so which process?

I didn't know they do firearm work. I am putting together an engine now using their bearings. Nice stuff! Have you used them? If so which process?
I assume they would take on any coating job if there was money to be made? We had them Teflon coat some razor blades for a slitting/converting machine we build. Pretty good job, good price and decent turn around time. Would have liked to went with DLC - just not cost effective for the application long-term. Depending upon what you have having done - whether or not they have/need a jig affects the cost quite a bit. Next time we will make the jig for the job ourselves.

I assume they would take on any coating job if there was money to be made? We had them Teflon coat some razor blades for a slitting/converting machine we build. Pretty good job, good price and decent turn around time. Would have liked to went with DLC - just not cost effective for the application long-term. Depending upon what you have having done - whether or not they have/need a jig affects the cost quite a bit. Next time we will make the jig for the job ourselves.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into that. Any firearm (the actual serial numbered part) adds a whole different mess to the manufacturer that many may not want to deal with the ATF. Their coated bearings I have are very well done. I purchased them packaged that way, not sent back through to be coated.
20220708_085300.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into that. Any firearm (the actual serial numbered part) adds a whole different mess to the manufacturer that many may not want to deal with the ATF. Their coated bearings I have are very well done. I purchased them packaged that way, not sent back through to be coated.
View attachment 377460
Indeed it does - and if they have enough "easier" business, they may not want to delve into it. Amazing just how many NASCAR internal engine parts have these coatings. Felt of a camshaft (all shiny black/DLC?) at local race shop that was wiped down and the coating still made it feel oily.