Action / Bolt Coatings

There were bare areas where they were hooked the parts with hangers and it didn't wear well as compared to DLC. I did a complete 1911 slide, frame and all small parts except springs, it was smooth to cycle but didn't last very long.
I know a guy who builds high end race engines (Nickens Bro's Pro stock), he does wrist pins in DLC but polishes them to a 2 micron finish. I checked some from an engine he was freshening up that had about 8-10 runs and I could barely perceive a wear line as compared to a new one ready to install. If one considers the pressure wrist pins are subjected to in pro stock 9k RPM race engines, I was impressed and began looking into DLC for firearms. I have a Curtis Axiom in DLC and it started rusting in some areas and has very early signs of wear on the raceways, magazine port and feed ramp as well as the bolt body and lugs (200-300 bolt cycles), so I'm going to Cerakote it when I do the barrel. I believe as in most things that the person doing the process has much to do with the end result. For that reason I'll likely not buy another Curtis but rather Terminus for three lug actions. To be fair to Curtis, I did not reach out to them about my concern and they may have refinished it with apologies but since I do my own Cerakote, I decided to go that route. I'm sure that Parker Trutec would do a first class job which is who I would use if sending something out for DLC.

There are the Nickel-Teflon and Nickel-Boron coatings which are commonly applied to AR parts, BCG's in particular. I have a 1911 that was Nickel-Teflon coated almost 30 years ago. It hasn't had a drop of lubrication since. It was sent out with a 3.5 lbs trigger and solely by coating the hammer and the sear it came back with a safe 2.75 lbs trigger. That changed it from being a carry gun, just too light a trigger for that use.

I've been looking for a vendor to apply these coatings in small batches and have not found one. California Technical Plating lists the Nickel-Teflon process and I've had them do work for me in the past, but the last time I sent them anything it sat for months and I finally had to ask for my parts back unplated.
I'm interested if anyone knows of a vendor who will do small lots.

Pretty much any coating is going to add dimension. The question is what is the surface build thickness and how does that relate to the operational clearances of the action?

I didn't think about that, I use them in my ARs but the color and reflectivity might not be appropriate for the application. Good choice though if you can find someone to do it..

Richter Precision - DLC
Northstar - DLC

I've used both thousands of times and both are great companies to deal with.

Hello there! I see your looking for a coating for barreled action and your bolt ! I have a solution to your problem! And you can do this your self !!!!! I have used this product with great success !! If you can shake a can of paint then you can do this your self!! It's called Duracoat ! You can find it on the net ! It comes in just about every conceivable color under the sun!
As I said ! I have done a half dozen of my own because I to don't care for the expense or the other options and it's so darn easy you will be absolutely happy with how it turns out!! All that's needed is a way to hang the action and a little tape on the bolt ! You will need to remove the bluing and gently sand with 400 grit sand paper spray and let stand for 24 hrs and you will have a durable coating that scratch resistant and impervious to all chemical cleaners ! If you need more info ! Let me know ! I can help

Glad to see you doing a little homework before choosing a process or company. Obviously we all have different experiences and opinions. From what offerings have been made, I would consider what kgunx11 recommended or Parker Trutec. Most other recommendations will add dimension to every surface except DLC and nitriding which both will apply to your bore as well. Benefit to those two are longer barrel life. If you choose one of those two you may consider breaking in the barrel or diamond lapping the bore since it take forever to do a barrel break-in.

I'll be interested in what applicators say in regards to whether it's advantageous to apply one type coating to the action being 416 & a different coating to the bolt being 4340.
I've ran one before that was set up this way.
Or if it's advised to run the same coating on both.

Last edited:
Hello there! I see your looking for a coating for barreled action and your bolt ! I have a solution to your problem! And you can do this your self !!!!! I have used this product with great success !! If you can shake a can of paint then you can do this your self!! It's called Duracoat ! You can find it on the net ! It comes in just about every conceivable color under the sun!
As I said ! I have done a half dozen of my own because I to don't care for the expense or the other options and it's so darn easy you will be absolutely happy with how it turns out!! All that's needed is a way to hang the action and a little tape on the bolt ! You will need to remove the bluing and gently sand with 400 grit sand paper spray and let stand for 24 hrs and you will have a durable coating that scratch resistant and impervious to all chemical cleaners ! If you need more info ! Let me know ! I can help
Never trust anyone who ends all their sentences with exclamation points!!!!!!!

Glad to see you doing a little homework before choosing a process or company. Obviously we all have different experiences and opinions. From what offerings have been made, I would consider what kgunx11 recommended or Parker Trutec. Most other recommendations will add dimension to every surface except DLC and nitriding which both will apply to your bore as well. Benefit to those two are longer barrel life. If you choose one of those two you may consider breaking in the barrel or diamond lapping the bore since it take forever to do a barrel break-in.
I would love to know who can DLC a bore. Nitride - yes. DLC? Never seen it done - but I want it!
Thanks

Recent Posts