Action & Barrel Centerline

McMillan makes a stiff stock, but evidentally the model you have is not stiff enough to cope with the weight of the barrel you have. See how it shoots, that's the final word. News print is about .003" thick, see how it passes from forearm tip to the recoil lug. There are several different things that may be done to the stock if the rifle doesn't shoot to expectations, Some "internet approved" , some not. But in the end, it's about whether the rifle shoots to your expectations, or does not. I'm taking for granted that the action is soundly bedded? Is the caliber a heavy recoiling one or is it a small caliber high velocity round without much recoil?

Something .060" thick will pass from forearm tip to recoil lug. The rifle isn't bedded but it will be. The forearm will be taped and bedded for clearance also. It is a 30 caliber with an approximate 85 gr powder capacity. As for recoil, I'm expecting it to jerk me forward. It has an Assassin muzzle brake on it.

See what it's like after a good, solid bedding job, could change the whole senario. Did you get pillars? If no pillars, get some! Between the two, it should stiffen thins up. Maybe no completely, but better.

McMillans are not all that stiff. The amount yours is flexing sounds average. This is why you should never have bedding material under the barrel anywhere forward of the lug.

Are thy real pillars or the thin tubes McMillan sells? If so I would remove those and build real ones if they are the ones that comes with their stocks.

A 30 cal with 85 grains is 300 Weatherby territory. I can guarantee it will still kick pretty good. To my knowledge no brake has reached 60% reduction yet.​

Something .060" thick will pass from forearm tip to recoil lug. The rifle isn't bedded but it will be. The forearm will be taped and bedded for clearance also. It is a 30 caliber with an approximate 85 gr powder capacity. As for recoil, I'm expecting it to jerk me forward. It has an Assassin muzzle brake on it.

Fortunately I know something about the Assassin Muzzle brake and can give you an idea of what
the recoil will be, (As good as it is, It wont Jerk you forward though Ha Ha)

I have some test on .30 cal using 180 grain bullets and 84 grains of powder @ 3100 ft/sec, In a fully dressed rifle that produced=
27.4 ft/lbs of recoil with no brake.
8.7 ft/lbs With the tuned Assassin.
For a 68.3% total reduction in recoil.

Yours should be very close. If you give me your load (Bullet weight, velocity, powder charge and the rifle weight dressed out. I can probably get the actual recoil.

After it is pillar bedded check and see if the stock can be squeezed to touch the barrel. If it is easy leave the gap as it is unless it really looks bad. If it does not contact the barrel easily then you
can reduce the clearance with bedding Compound as much as you want to.

good luck and good shooting.

J E CUSTOM

I had a barrel clearance plan when I asked the question. I asked the question to make sure I wasn't going to do something I would regret. Based on what you guys have said I think I will go ahead and do as planned.

I was intending to fit the barrel with .060" clearance on the bottom side. This clearance would cover about 120° of the barrels circumference. Then the rest of the barrel, the sides of it, would have .040" clearance. If I do it this way, I can squeeze the stock against the barrel but it takes a pretty good squeeze to make contact.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.