Ackley Improved Pickle Spot

@BFD Guns , a bit of advice I have is that because the AI chamber is designed to be a slight crush fit on the saami case, you'll want to make sure you bolt lugs are greased good so you reduce the chance of galling them when closing the bolt. My AI chamber is a pretty tight fit on the case I'm fireforming and I neglected the lug grease. I galled one of my bolt lugs.
See, this is why I still ask. One can get these jewels of advice!

Yes! I plan to get one of those hydro dies at some point. The only downside is you have to have a sturdy bench mounted press. I load all my cartridges with a lee hand press 😳

With my .243AI & 6mmAI I ran a solid powder charge with a cheap bullet jammed as per Sierra recommendations. It worked wonderfully & shot pretty well for plinking & prairie dogs.

With the 6.5-06AI, I went with the cream of wheat method & pistol powder with also worked just fine.

I completely understand the OPs point regarding primers. This day and age, I wouldn't waste primers with the COW method.

t

243 AI I put false shoulders on instead of jamming the bullet, there's a lot of movement up front taking the taper out of the parent case here. Necked up with a Wilson 257 "new" mandrel, slid the right size bushing down about half the neck - it was crushed pretty hard on bolt close. Moly grease from a syringe on the lugs and ran them through. Not something I'd mess with on a 223 or 30-06, but the 243 improvement is pushing on a 10% increase in case capacity compared to more like 6% for the 223. Got a very tight seal and no carbon past the false shoulder.

IMG_1567.jpg

243 AI false shoulder.jpg

Fireforming loads:
108gn Bergers, 48.5gn Ramshot Magnum, Fed GM215Ms.
95gn Core-Lokt seconds, 50.0gn Ramshot Magnum, Fed Gm215Ms

Last edited:
243 AI I put false shoulders on instead of jamming the bullet, there's a lot of movement up front taking the taper out of the parent case here. Necked up with a Wilson 257 "new" mandrel, slid the right size bushing down about half the neck - it was crushed pretty hard on bolt close. Moly grease from a syringe on the lugs and ran them through. Not something I'd mess with on a 223 or 30-06, but the 243 improvement is pushing on a 10% increase in case capacity compared to more like 6% for the 223. Got a very tight seal and no carbon past the false shoulder.

View attachment 432882

View attachment 432883

Fireforming loads:
108gn Bergers, 48.5gn Ramshot Magnum, Fed GM215Ms.
95gn Core-Lokt seconds, 50.0gn Ramshot Magnum, Fed Gm215Ms

The false shoulder is probably the best way to ensure proper headspace while forming, just adds another step. For my 22-250 AI, I just load and shoot. While setting the headspace, I made sure to feel a slight "crush" while chambering virgin brass. Cases come out nicely formed with sharp shoulders.

For my 6.5 Sherman, there is a ton of movement (more than a typical AI), so I definitely employ the false shoulder.

22-250 AI (95 SMK L and 88 ELDM R) and parent:
1378C728-8705-4F65-A624-4A10437D348A.jpeg

270 win necked down with false shoulder next to formed 6.5 Sherman:
E541D169-A59F-4B0B-B823-451D144BB076.jpeg

Last edited: