Ackley Improved data?

Takem406

I have a 22-250 and a 243 I'd like to have improved. And being a gun geek I love reading loading manuals of various cartridges. I know a couple manuals have 22-250 AI data but I haven't seen any "published" data for the 243 AI.
So is there a book with close to all the Ackley cartridges? Or maybe a legitimate website that lists them or a method of working up loads?
I just get nervous using online loading data from "Billy Bob" who I don't even know.

Also I just bought a Forster neck sizer for 22-250, will this same die work for sizing the neck on the 22-250 AI? If not no worries because I'm inheriting a couple 22-250's that I dare not improve.

I have a 22-250 and a 243 I'd like to have improved. And being a gun geek I love reading loading manuals of various cartridges. I know a couple manuals have 22-250 AI data but I haven't seen any "published" data for the 243 AI.
So is there a book with close to all the Ackley cartridges? Or maybe a legitimate website that lists them or a method of working up loads?
I just get nervous using online loading data from "Billy Bob" who I don't even know.

Also I just bought a Forster neck sizer for 22-250, will this same die work for sizing the neck on the 22-250 AI? If not no worries because I'm inheriting a couple 22-250's that I dare not improve.

Morning. questions. what?why and what use! I hunt hogs and coyotes. I have a 22-250 and 243AI. I shoot hogs and coyotes with both. I use Tac powder in the 22-250 and RL15 r 4831sc in the 243. Extremely good accuracy in both. U have to fire form the brass. when loading the standard rounds I hunt do not hunt with the unformed brass. Extreme differences in accuracy. some people use a reduced load with grain to fireform the casing. very dirty. I buy bullets at shows that r cheap to fireform brass. u r going to use a lot of brass, primers and powder when firforming brass. one thing u get with AI's is velocity. accuracy comes with testing. a lot of my favorite loads come from reading shooting forums. I do use reloading manuals shooters shoot and test as I do. have fun, clean rifle barrel often. good luck!! the gunsmith will have to remove the barrel from the action and rethroat the barrel, then attach and set head spacing. approximately $200 cost, I bought my barrels already serviced. the longer the better in barrel length!!gun)shoot shoot shoot

What I would recommend is to buy the two volume set of P O Ackley's handbook for shooters and Re loaders from Amazon. It will give you a better understanding of what his intensions were when
he started changing cartridge shapes for optimum performance.

The books are a very good read and well worth the money if you want to go this route.

I have built many AIs and follow his instructions on how to set the chamber head space to allow
fine accuracy while fire forming (This saves on all components and time).

When head space is properly set,The parent factory ammo can be used with great accuracy and brass can be fire formed at the same time. It is not unusual for 1/2 moa accuracy to be achieved
during fire forming.

The AI Means Improved, not just more velocity. Brass life and throat life are just some of the Pluses
in doing an AI chamber.

Good Luck and good reading.

J E CUSTOM

I have a 243 AI, and I just used 243 load data as a reference.
I'd do the same thing with any AI caliber.
As a first step with any cartridge you are going to what to run a pressure test.

The neck sizing die will work on you AI brass. That's all I use on mine. Adjusting the depth of the die is important. I crushed a couple of cases getting mine to just bump the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.