accurcy?

300 HART

witch one do yall think tends to be more accurate? a 270 or a 30-06?
and what would be the effective range of killin a deer?

Accuracy goes to the shooter, and quality of the equipment used, not nessicarily caliber in this case. As far as Bullets are concerned, the 30 cal gives alot more bullet wt's to choose from. The .270win, and the 30-06sprg are based off of the same case, one is necked down to .277 the other is .308(as you may already know), so with same wt bullets, ie; 100gr -150gr the 270 shoots a bit flatter to a given yardage with most factory ammo in the same wt. However, the 30-06 can effectively shoot a 165-180gr and even up to a 220gr where as the .270 stops (with most factory stuff) at 150gr. My choice for Deer would be the 30-06 with a 165-168 gr, and for Elk would be the 180gr.
Effective range will be determined by personal ability,equipment ability, and self imposed max range that your given bullet choice will perform the way you want it to on the game your after in the area you place the bullet.
LOTS of deer and elk have been taken with both calibers, so both are good choices, but id give the edge to the 30-06 because of bullet wt's to choose from.:)

I completely agree with Winmag. The .277 caliber is real killer and because of its smaller diameter it will tend to have higher BC's in similar weight bullets compared to the 308. For instance, a 150 .277 Berger VLD has a BC of .531. A Berger 155 VLD (hunting bullet) has a BC of .439. So from this example the .270 is going to be more capable at longer distance and bucking the wind with similar weight bullets. As soon as you jump to the 175 VLD and up you are going to see the edge going to the 30-06. The reason I use the Berger is to show equal comparison in the same manufacturer.

Tank

witch one do yall think tends to be more accurate? a 270 or a 30-06?
and what would be the effective range of killin a deer?

The difference in accuracy would depend on the individual rifle more than anything eles

The max effective killing range for Deer with either is the max distance that "you" can place the bullet in the "kill zone"

I completely agree with Winmag. The .277 caliber is real killer and because of its smaller diameter it will tend to have higher BC's in similar weight bullets compared to the 308. For instance, a 150 .277 Berger VLD has a BC of .531. A Berger 155 VLD (hunting bullet) has a BC of .439. So from this example the .270 is going to be more capable at longer distance and bucking the wind with similar weight bullets. As soon as you jump to the 175 VLD and up you are going to see the edge going to the 30-06. The reason I use the Berger is to show equal comparison in the same manufacturer.

Tank

Why would one use the same wieght bullets in both calibers?

Why would one use the same wieght bullets in both calibers?

One wouldn't! Just used those numbers and weight bullets to show the difference in BC's between two bullets of similar weight. One will be more superior than the other theoretically assuming all other conditions are the same. I do know that there are some guys who chose to use a 150grn bullet instead of a 180 or 190 grain for comfort in shooting.

Tank

One wouldn't! Just used those numbers and weight bullets to show the difference in BC's between two bullets of similar weight. One will be more superior than the other theoretically assuming all other conditions are the same. I do know that there are some guys who chose to use a 150grn bullet instead of a 180 or 190 grain for comfort in shooting.

Tank

With external ballistics of these 3 factors only 2 of them are constant. Bullet weigth, bore diameter and velocity. Velcocity is constantly demenising, weight and diameter remain constant and they are your friend at long distances

With external ballistics of these 3 factors only 2 of them are constant. Bullet weigth, bore diameter and velocity. Velcocity is constantly demenising, weight and diameter remain constant and they are your friend at long distances

Yeah, what you said! That is what I was trying to get at. Just a poor choice of wording. Been up since 3am. A little on the not so focused side!:D

Tank

Accuracy goes to the shooter, and quality of the equipment used, not nessicarily caliber in this case. As far as Bullets are concerned, the 30 cal gives alot more bullet wt's to choose from. The .270win, and the 30-06sprg are based off of the same case, one is necked down to .277 the other is .308(as you may already know), so with same wt bullets, ie; 100gr -150gr the 270 shoots a bit flatter to a given yardage with most factory ammo in the same wt. However, the 30-06 can effectively shoot a 165-180gr and even up to a 220gr where as the .270 stops (with most factory stuff) at 150gr. My choice for Deer would be the 30-06 with a 165-168 gr, and for Elk would be the 180gr.
Effective range will be determined by personal ability,equipment ability, and self imposed max range that your given bullet choice will perform the way you want it to on the game your after in the area you place the bullet.
LOTS of deer and elk have been taken with both calibers, so both are good choices, but id give the edge to the 30-06 because of bullet wt's to choose from.:)

+1

It's not the caliber it's the total package that effects accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Nosler makes a 160 grain partition for the 270 which is an excellent bullet for everything except Elk and it will work great on Elk about as far as most people will shoot them. If you are into much extreme long range Elk hunting you would probably want to consider something a little larger than either of them.

Nosler makes a 160 grain partition for the 270 which is an excellent bullet for everything except Elk and it will work great on Elk about as far as most people will shoot them. If you are into much extreme long range Elk hunting you would probably want to consider something a little larger than either of them.[/QUOTE

+1 While both are great ''do it all'' calibers, neither would be considered a ''dedicated long range first choice''. Both are capable of shooting accurately for a long ways(look at Carlos Hathcock, Marine Sniper), but as a ''L/R hunting'' rifle there are more apropriate calibers to choose from. Then again, you never said what your intended purpose was.

no difference in effectiveness on deer ; no difference in accuracy. if one has a better barrel ( kreiger) ; trigger, scope , ammo it will be more accurate.

Nosler makes a 160 grain partition for the 270 which is an excellent bullet for everything except Elk and it will work great on Elk about as far as most people will shoot them. If you are into much extreme long range Elk hunting you would probably want to consider something a little larger than either of them.[/QUOTE

+1 While both are great ''do it all'' calibers, neither would be considered a ''dedicated long range first choice''. Both are capable of shooting accurately for a long ways(look at Carlos Hathcock, Marine Sniper), but as a ''L/R hunting'' rifle there are more apropriate calibers to choose from. Then again, you never said what your intended purpose was.

Many on this have and/or do use a 308 win, how is a 30-06 not a good choice?

Many on this have and/or do use a 308 win, how is a 30-06 not a good choice?

The 30-06 is a good choice for an all round rifle, but for Long Range on big game?
With out trying to offend anyone. the .308 is a good MEDIUM/LONG range hunting caliber, and great LONG RANGE Target/Varmint caliber. IMO the 30-06 SPANKS the .308!! but its still more of a mid/long range hunting rifle and long range target/varmint caliber.
308 is also a NATO round. And theres alot of current, and ex millitary folks on here.
Im not a law officer, but I think even swat uses .308 for fear of colateral damage from a magnum that still has alot of energy after passing thru its target.
The majority of the guys on L/R/H are gun nutts,tinkerers, smiths, etc. who LOVE to shoot, and push the limmits of themselves and thier equipment to incredible ranges.Theres alot of guys on here who own and shoot .308 even out past 1k. but theres a reason people L/R HUNT big game with L/R specific calibers.
Why do you think you here and read so many stories and posts about calibers like .300win/.300wby/.300RUM/.338RUM/.338 ax/.338 edge/ .338 LM/.408 cheytac/.416 barrett/ and all the ''wild cats'' , when it comes to big game L/R HUNTING.
For just Long Range paper stuff and Long Range small game its hard to beat a 6.5 cal. or a .308 cal And both are great long range calibers, but when was the last time you read a post about a 6.5 or .308 laying the smack down on an elk past 1k? Now how many stories and posts have you hered and read that DO just that past 1k with the calibers mentioned? See my point?
Can it be done........maybe.............. with the right shooter and equipment and conditions. But theres alot of choices out there that will help increase the likliehood of a hit with alot of energy left at 1k+ with longer higher B.C. bullets for bucking the wind etc.
Like I said. the 30-06 SPANKS a .308 by a good 200fps+ with150gr+ bullets, but neither would be MY first choice for L/R big game hunting.
.308 win-150 gr bullet 27-2800fps- (max load saami hornady 7th edition)
30-06-150 gr bullet 29-3000fps, - '' same ''
300wby-150 gr bullet 34-3500fps -" same "
Now no one is gonna shoot 150's in a 300wby,(that I know of anyway) but do you see the difference? Flatter trajectory, and more energy at longer distance, and the ability to shoot heavier/longer higher B.C. for caliber bullets effectively.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.