accurate rifle on the cheap

Elkeater

So I started down the budget rifle option awhile back and am just getting around to actually doing it. This rifle is for my kids to start hunting as they already shoot .223 and 22lr. I bought a savage model 10 from a member here and a .243 take off barrel from a different member. Bedded it into a Boyd's spike camp stock and topped it with a Bushnell engage in Talley rings for now until the Leupold VXR I ordered shows up.
CF0D1CF1-E407-42DB-A61D-65B84E3760AE.jpeg

My kids picked the stock color. It's not fancy if you don't count the scope I spent under $550 on it. I took it out today for the first time. I loaded up some 87gr v max with IMR 4831 in starline brass with FGMM 210 primers. I loaded them SAAMI spec COAL.

The first load I tried did this.
C1015FA1-5FF8-47E4-9D6E-9132DEBA1C39.jpeg

That's 5 shots at 100 yards. Just goes to prove you don't have to spend a fortune to get an accurate rifle.

So I started down the budget rifle option awhile back and am just getting around to actually doing it. This rifle is for my kids to start hunting as they already shoot .223 and 22lr. I bought a savage model 10 from a member here and a .243 take off barrel from a different member. Bedded it into a Boyd's spike camp stock and topped it with a Bushnell engage in Talley rings for now until the Leupold VXR I ordered shows up.
View attachment 177457
My kids picked the stock color. It's not fancy if you don't count the scope I spent under $550 on it. I took it out today for the first time. I loaded up some 87gr v max with IMR 4831 in starline brass with FGMM 210 primers. I loaded them SAAMI spec COAL.

The first load I tried did this.
View attachment 177456
That's 5 shots at 100 yards. Just goes to prove you don't have to spend a fortune to get an accurate rifle.
good old savage seems like you can almost always count on them kids should be happy

Those and the Tikka t3s make great budget build base guns. Its great you have your kids involved. Nice build. You pay a lot more $$$ to get that last few % of quality for perf doing a full on custom.

I am getting close to having more Tikka based builds than any other single manf. On full customs I like trying different manf especial actions. So many great ones these days to choose from. Actually started a wildcat specifically to maximize within their coal limits. Have a few savages as well.

Hard to beat savage for bang for the buck spent. Donor actions are pretty easy to find and everything else is just up to the user or budget. Haven't put one together yet that didn't shoot under 1/2" Dave

Thats fantasic! Your Kids will enjoy that and I think you will as well. Savage is hard to beat in the inexpensive realm and do-it-yourself arena. And an accurate rifle will not frustrate you or your children in their early and formative years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.