Accurate Chronograph

Hello All,

I reload for my hunting rifles, and would like opinions on what is the most accurate chronograph. Is the Labraradar hype true? I will be using it to chronograph reloads while developing new loads for the 338 RUM and 7mm Rem Mag. Will be using it primarily for velocity ladder testing.

I currently own an old pro chrono that is over 15 years old, and want to upgrade.
Labradar hands down. The offer add ons for suppressors, air rifles, archery, etc.

First, I don't own a magnetospeed and don't think I ever will. I do own a Chrony, a CED and a lab radar. I first bought the CED and found my bullet drop at 1000 yards, i shoot F class, were always off. I've had the Chrony for years and have been real pleased with it. Drops have been right on. It picks up shots no matter what gun I use, 20 cal at 4200 FPS or Pistols at 950 FPS.

I only bought the lab radar because I moved. The range I now have to shoot at faces east. Sun in your face in the morning and shadows from the enclosed firing line in the afternoon. Neither of which work well with the Chrony. As stated by others there is a learning curve to the lab radar, but when set up correctly it works day or night. I can use it to do load development and measure poi and velocity simultaneously. Just like i did with the Chrony.

The drawback to the lab radar it doesn't work with my 20 at over 4000 fps and was picky with suppressed guns. After talking to them they replaced the pickups and now it works great with suppressors.

My 2 cents, if lighting is not an issue as at my old range, buy a Chrony and save yourself $400 bucks. If you want the latest and greatest and fanciest buy the lab radar.

Hello All,

I reload for my hunting rifles, and would like opinions on what is the most accurate chronograph. Is the Labraradar hype true? I will be using it to chronograph reloads while developing new loads for the 338 RUM and 7mm Rem Mag. Will be using it primarily for velocity ladder testing.

I currently own an old pro chrono that is over 15 years old, and want to upgrade.
Have not used a Lab Radar but own a Magnetspeed and Oehler 35P. If just checking one rifle the MS works but for absolute accuracy the Oehler 35P. Once set up great for testing multiple rifles at a time plus get a printout of all the data. I have an aftermarket case where the Oehler is partially set up so takes about the same amount of time to set up as the MS but more cumbersome. With 3 screens the accuracy is guaranteed and spot on plus no worry about barrel harmonics, suppressors, muzzle brakes etc.

So called 1 shot "velocity ladders" looking for a "flat spot" to load to are total garbage. The normal shot-shot variation in MV will give you something you think is meaningful but if you were to run 30 ladders, you'd get a spaghetti band around the average & nothing would be "optimal". Pick a chrono that fits the budget & drive on.

I love my Magnetospeed. It has work great for me for the last three years. There is a chance that it does change POI with lighter weight barrel. But, for my purposes that does not mean much. I do all of my load development with the Magnetospeed and then once I have found my load and do some fine adjustments without the chronograph to get it where I want it.
I love my Magnetospeed. It has work great for me for the last three years. There is a chance that it does change POI with lighter weight barrel. But, for my purposes that does not mean much. I do all of my load development with the Magnetospeed and then once I have found my load and do some fine adjustments without the chronograph to get it where I want it.[/QUOTE
I do the with the Magnetospeed. It's easy and the velocity is accurate for calculations

Hello All,

I have an old chrony with two purple hearts. I get good results when comparing factory rounds and what I should get with my handloads. Very useful tool.

Hello All,

I have both and find myself about to get rid of the Labradar. The Achilles heel of what would be an otherwise game changing product with the Labradar is the difficulty aiming the unit and shot detection which results in shots that are not picked up. This is a recurring problem and a fatal flaw for a gadget costing over $500.00. Most of us shoot 3 shot groups during load development, and failure to detect most if not all of them while setting the thing up was a deal killer for me. What's worse is that the factory is aware of the problem and states that they have no plans to fix it. Straws in the aiming notch, framing squares, and trial and error do help and work for some, but I wouldn't buy another one until our Canadian friends man-up and fix the problem. When you call to complain they seem not to really care. The Bluetooth smartphone app is also poorly engineered, full of bugs, and works correctly about 1/2 of the time. The POI shift and the need for different pads for some barrel contours with the Magnetospeed is a fact, but not NEARLY as frustrating as the sensing, aiming, and shot detection errors of the Labradar. There are also aftermarket products that will keep the Magnetospeed blade sensor off the barrel for less than the cost of the Labradar device. The Magnetospeed is always reliable and very accurate. I had to use the middle (of three) sensitivity setting during setup, but since then, the unit has never missed a shot and is the go to unit that I always rely on. Sorry Labradar, it was yours to lose and you totally blew it.

Hello All,

I sold my magnetos and went Labradar. The only system I've shot better than that is the Doppler radar system which moved from Fullerton to Phoenix and is used by the capstone precision group. Over a million dollar machine and multimillion dollar building.

U got two options brother. Labradar or Magnetospeed. Both are very close in accuracy. The decision is do u want to strap something to your barrel or not. I had both and I got rid of the labradar simply because of the setup and missing shots on suppressed rifles. Ever had one issue with the magneto. Yes your poi shifts but from what I have seen thru lots of shooting is it does not in anyway affect group size. Good luck on your decision.

My experience was just like yours. I had one and only one issue with the MagnetoSpeed, and a two-minute phone call fixed it for me. The guy I talked with got me all dialed in, in no time flat - he knew exactly what my problem was immediately, and it was entirely operator error. My sensitivity was set incorrectly, and it was easy to fix. He told me how to do it, but I could have easily figured it out myself from the card that came with the unit.

As for the shifting of the point of impact, here's what I ran into : My gun groups equally well with or without the bayonet attached to the barrel; it just shoots the groups to a place that is about 1.5" away when I take the bayonet off the barrel. This is not a problem. Once I've got all the numbers I want for velocities, I take off the bayonet and adjust the scope for the desired POI on the target. I think I shot about a half a dozen additional cartridges to accomplish this, and the extra trigger time was probably good for me.

Lastly, I'd like to say this : the MagnetoSpeed is what clued me in that the factory loads I was using were almost exactly 100 fps slower than advertised, and I also didn't want to sight in to the 200-yard zero that was printed on the box. I left it 2.5" high at 100 yards, and went to the bullet company's website and looked up the trajectory. Then I went out and drilled a huge blacktail buck with the rifle, at 285 yards. The bullet hole was right where I thought it was going to be. If I had just done it like the trajectory printed on the box and taken their numbers as gospel, there would have been a couple of inches of error in the equation, due to the fact that the bullets did not come out the muzzle at 2950fps. This was, admittedly, a "quick & dirty" exercise, but it worked extremely well. When I get to fine-tuning an accurate load for this new rifle, the MagnetoSpeed will be an integral part of the process.

Hello All,

I use a Caldwell works fine if you want you can hook it to your cellphone and keep track of your data

I have a Chrony which I have always suspected reads low. I checked it by putting another Chrony in line with it. It always read lower than the other whether it was in front or in the back. I called Chrony and wouldn't considered recalibrating. So I just live with it as it was really consistent. I have always considered upgrading, but could not justify the cost of the Magnetospeed and later the Labradar. But what really peeves me is every time I upgrade my computers, I have to buy new software. They want $80 (I believe) for the software upgrade. I'd rather apply the $80 toward a better chronograph than send those cheap bxxxxxds another nickle. The sky screens which sometimes need artificial light are getting brittle probably need to replaced soon also. So, I'd really like to get the Labradar, but by the time you invest in the unit, battery pack, case(which should be included) and the tripod, it is
rather expensive. Also, the simplicity and convience of the Magneto-speed makes it desirable. Soooo, I think the solution is buy one and have your shooting buddy buy the other and hope he opts for the Labradar. (ha ha) When I finally decide which one to get it will depend on how many beers I've had or if I can sneak it past my wife. The Chrony was a Christmas present she bought for me.

I use the new Caldwell that tracks the bullet from above the barrel. I use it to chronograph my Airgun and my .300 WSM. It works equally well with both. Only complaint is that it is top heavy and I had to purchase a ball and socket head for the tripod. This arrangement is more secure and easier to adjust. I also hang a weight from the hook to better stabilize the tripod. The Bluetooth connection between the chronograph and your cell phone works very well and does all the calculations for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts