Accurate Burn Rate chart that compares Hodgden-Alliant-Viht powders

PatriotHenry

Hello all,

I have 2 charts on burn rates for multiple powders. My problem is the 2 charts are drastically different on a few. (attached) Specifically look at where 6.5 Sta-ball is on the 2 charts....and a few others.

I am most interested in getting an accurate comparison for Viht powders vs Hodgden and Alliant on a quick reference chart that I can print off. Does anyone have some good up-to-date data they can share?

Viht seems to be turning up a little more lately. I will be looking for a substitute for H4350 burn rate/case fill. Looking at the big chart data I have (that I don't trust) it appears that Viht N160 is pretty darn close. On the other chart RL16 &17 bracket H4350, on the big chart it shows RL16 &17 being considerably faster that H4350. Frustrating!

Thanks!

PH

Attachments

• burn-rate-color.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 2,086
  • Powder-Relative-Burn-Rate-3-9-2021.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 773
Here is another, but doesn't list them all...RL16 for example

Attachments

• Burn Rate Chart.jpg
    Burn Rate Chart.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 2,098
Every burn chart is different. It changes for different cartridges, loading densities, pressure, etc. If you tell the forum what your shooting, they may be able to share their experience

It's explained easily by the manufacturers reloading data warnings. They advise to start at minimum and work your way up with each new lot of powder that you use. Claimed variance can be up to 10% from lot to lot. It normally isn't that much but they need to cover their butts. So unless every entity that creates a powder burn rate chart uses powder from the exact same lots, you will see variance in chart positions. This is especially true where you have a group of powders from different companies with very similar burn rates.

Yes burn rate is not a constant and varies from lot to lot.

Here is your answer:

You will want to consider IMR 4350 and Accurate 2700 for relative closeness to burn rate but you may want RL16 or something else that's less temperature sensitive. These burn rates are from a model. They are a bit more finely tuned in granularity than those charts. Ranked lowest to Highest burn rate. I've always thought of IMR 4350 to be a very close approximation but the diff will be on temperature sensitivity.

ACC 4350
0.381​
W-760
0.4529​
VV N550
0.465​
RL17
0.47​
VV 160
0.49​
Hybrid 100v
RL16
0.4955​
ACC 2700
0.506​
H 4350
IMR 4350
0.515​
VV-150
0.545​
IMR 4451
0.575​
VV 540
0.598​

Attachments

• Temp Sensitivity Rankings Powder.png
    Temp Sensitivity Rankings Powder.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 645
Here are the 2 latest burn rate charts I have. Both from 2022 I believe....

On a side note....if Norma isn't going to sell their powder in the US, should it be left off such things??

Attachments

• 2022 burnratechartnew.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 897
  • 2022 burn-rate-color.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 310
Burn rate charts are a waste of time because there is NO STANDARD to which a powder company has to derive their RQ numbers.
I have said this here so many times it should become a sticky.
BURN RATE IS NOT CONSTANT.
Also, if IMR used 4895 as their regulation powder with which all other powders are compared to and, Hodgdon use 4895 as their powder they regulate off, who knows exactly the burn rate other than those 2 company's? The numbers mean absolutely nothing.
RQ numbers (Relative Quickness) is either a higher number than 100, for a slower powder, or a lower number for a faster powder……guess what? Even in their testing, two powders that are close often switch positions and they are not going to rush out and change the position because they know that on the next test it will most likely switch positions again.
BURN RATE IS NOT CONSTANT.
Burn rate charts are a guess at best as to which powders group together, because only THAT powder company compares THEIR powder to each other, no one else's powder.
Burn rate charts are a very rough guide and often are WRONG.
The easiest way to determine a suitable powder if you need to switch, is look at lots of data, if another powder has similar load numbers and velocity numbers, then it is probably close to each other.
RE25 and Retumbo make a good powder switch, load density is about the same and velocities often match. Same goes for H4350 and 760.

Cheers.

Id bet youd get the closest velocities with IMR 4350 and Acc 2700.

Next closest velocity w some temp protection would be RL 26.

And yes burn rates are not constant or predictable, from lot to lot or w temp changes, especially over 90 deg F or below 25 F.

Get a chrongraph and run some tests. Then you will know for sure.

But those charts are ballpark at best. ITS ALL RELATIVE......

I noticed Shooters World isn't on the lists either.

The Burn rate for SW 4350 to fit into my spreadsheet above is 0.4510 if you are interested in it.

Its no where as close to IMR 4350 in being the same burn rate as H 4350. Its closer to W-760.

I can say with my lots of 1.H4350 2. Reloder16 and 3. StaBall the burn rate is in that order listed fast to slow
In Vihtavuori the closest would be N555 which is slightly slower and
N550 quite a bit faster