Accurate 2200 Data Powder

HuntingBronco

I have a fair amount of this from 20+ years ago. I get decent accuracy with 50-55 grain projectiles. It is a ball powder. Unfortunately, I get really big ES - like 100-120 fps. Running Rem 7 1/2 primers. Would CCI 450 primers be a better pairing? (I don't find much info on the powder.)

Thanks, the data on their website expands on the data on the label - neither suggest a primer. Thought someone here might have been down this road with this powder - especially chasing low ES/SD.

I don't have any experience with 2200 and 22 cal cartridges; however, in a 6.8mm SPC with 2200, I have used CCI 450s, CCI 41s, and Federal GM205MAR. I have not experienced as big of swings as you have with any of these primers.

Out of curiosity, are you weighing each load or throwing with a measure?

It is a regular production cannister powder now (and has been for several years). I guess the Data powder was popular enough that AA made it a regular production item.
I've used a lot in 20, 223, and 6.8. Excellent accuracy and very clean burning. Never looked at the ES/SDs and neither did the prairie dogs.
Sorry, that doesn't help you. All I ever used were CCI 400s and some Tula primers in the 6.8 (non-magnum).

Last edited:
Thanks Cemetery - they never complained when I used it. Been looking to push some heavies to stretch out a 7TW 223 Criterion and have new barrel in 20 Practical on the way - that's all good news, as I have lots of the stuff. I'll give the 450s a try.... See what happens. Trying to save my Varget for other things... ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.