Accuracy with the .300 RUM

remingtonman_25_06

I am not quite understanding how or maybe even why my Factory Rem 700 LSS 300 RUM, no brake, no trigger work, is what I think more than accurate for the groups im getting at the ranges im grouping them. I always read that you cant shoot bigger guns more accurate then you could a smaller gun. I have to tell you I am not seeing this with my experience. The 300 RUM kicks about 40lbs felt recoil, rough estimate anyways. I first worked up a load with the 200g SMK and H-1000 for deer hunting. I only tried 3 loads before I found the load that shot a 4 inch 3 shot group at 800 yards, but the load grouped 1 1/4" at 100 yards. The 200g Accubonds I just wanted to find a quick load for elk season. I once again tried 3 loads with H-1000. The load shot .6-.75" at 100 yards. I shot it at 525 yards on paper for a 3 shot group the day before the elk hunt and it was a 1.5" I just think this is stellar performance for a completely out of the box rifle with not even really tinkering around with the loads. H-1000 is giving me pretty consistent velocity, and low pressures even at 3200fps. I havent shot the groups enough to call them an average, but for the first couple groups at long range its really surprising me. I am shooting off a home made wood bench and the rifle is supported by another little bench rest. I am surprising myself with the groups when I see that 2 holes are only .5" apart at 525 yards, and 1.5" apart at 800 yards. Our area has a 1000 yard tv shoot at a 27" tv screen. It has to be your hunting rifle, no .50 cal, you only get 1 shot to hit the glass. No sighters or anything. Last year there were around 95 shooters and only 4-5 hit it on the 1st shot. The winner ended up hitting it 3 out of 5, he was using a 30-378 weatherby. I think this year I have a potential set up to have a good chance of hitting the 27" glass on the first shot with regular practice at 1000 yards. I will tinker with the 200g SMK as its the target bullet, even though the 200g Accubond's BC is actually higher. The scope is a new VX-2 6-18, Target, Fine duplex. Its on a 1 piece leupold base and leupold rings. I just thought I would share the accuracy my gun is giving me and all I can say is that I'm simply amazed and very satisfied. I did not think the factory 300 RUM was capable of that accuracy, or maybe me for that matter. I am hooked on the 300 RUM for every big game I hunt. I love the case and when my barrel goes out I plan to have it chambered for the Tomahawk to get even a little more performance out of it.

Glad to see your having success with the 300 RUM.

I have the Tomahawk and like it to.

The only thing I would like to see is better brass for the 300 RUM instead of just Remington. As of late, the Remington brass seems to be holding up much better then some of the stuff that was available a year or two ago.
Norma or Lapua would be nice if they made it?

Good luck with the rifle and it sounds like a fine hunting rig for you.

DC
smile.gif

Good Shooting and glad to see someone else scratching thier heads over thier factory marvel with big grins. I wussed out though, shot my ss 300 rum, 6.5-20 Leo, plastic stock, tweeked(by me)trigger, a few times last spring and then sent it out to get a muzzle brake from answer products. There was something about it flipping the front rest out and slamming the barrel into the window I didn't like. Anyway I got back to testing some loads for black bear next week. Kind of a thrown together affair. 94 grains of Retumbo and 200 gr Accubonds. Printed the first 3 shot at .51, second 3 shot .301. Didn't post earlier because it is really just a bit hard to swallow for some. Going to have to go and stretch its legs out against the bigger 30 this week. I hope I make out even close to what you experienced. If it whoops the weatherby within the 950 yard field, I just might have to start learning about these big monsters Darryl is always talking about for the weatherby and the over yonder field.

HPA

Glad to hear you both are having good luck witht the combo too! I like the MV many guys are getting and still holding great accuracy, I'll have to work up and see if mine still groups well there too.

I'm guessing the wind might be kicking some guys a$$es there at the TV shoot too. Might pay off to use the highest BC bullet you can, least you know the AB shoots great!

Have fun with it, and good luck at the TV shoot!
cool.gif

Having extreme accuracy with 300RUM most bullets.Will shoot consistent one holers @
100 yds, this is out of a Weather Warrior
Savage all stock, except the trigger was set to 1.5 lbs.A friend of mine has one identical
to mine and his shoots sub min also. Also
have another friend with a custom job that shoots real good.

Did some side by sides with the 30-378 factory accumark at 820. Had a little wind coming up the valley which caused groups to start 29 inches from aimpoint with the RUM and 20 inches with the Weatherby. It took 8 more clicks of elevation with the RUM and then printed 5 with a 5 inch high 13 inch wide group. After compensating for windage I fired just 3 with the 30-378. It reminded me that it still has some use left it in and put those 3 in 2.57. I still do not know how as it did similarly at 400, 2.25 I think with this load combination. 106 gr Retumbo and 200 gr Accubonds. I still have 3 finalized load recipes to test at the 820 in the 30-378 but I'm quite sure it is going to stay in its present configuration for awhile. In all fairness I dont have the bubble level thing on the RUM, these are brand new never fired cases, it kicks worse than the 30-378, and I haven't developed loads for it as I have for two years with the Weatherby. Needless to say at this point in time, I am pretty happy with both of them.

HPA

Hoyteman,can you advise your satisfaction with the answer brake? I have been considering having their brake installed on a 300 rum.

gonetocamp,
I am very happy with the result. I had them touch up the crown as well ($35). Perceived recoil was definately substantially reduced but is still more in my opinion than the factory braked weatherby 30-378 that I own with the same bullets. This may be due to the rifle itself being very light with the plastic stock as compared to the Weatherby. I have a laminated stock that I will be installing on the RUM for further reduction but as is I can comfortably shoot more than 40 rounds in a days time. Half a dozen was more than enough before. Turn around early this year was about a week. The bead blasted finish that fades into the factory finish is a touch off from factory but barely noticeable. I will definately be using their services again.
HPA

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: HoytemanPA ]

I purchased a fury model about 6 weeks ago and hand loaded RL 25, H1000, Retumbo
And a few others. The best group of any is about 2.5" at 100 y. Is there something I'm missing? I ike the rifle but a rifle that doesn't shoot is no more than a paperweight.

I purchased a fury model about 6 weeks ago and hand loaded RL 25, H1000, Retumbo
And a few others. The best group of any is about 2.5" at 100 y. Is there something I'm missing? I ike the rifle but a rifle that doesn't shoot is no more than a paperweight.
Hopefully your still around...
I'm curious as to if you loaded the bullets out to the lands and also what kinda powder charge did you put in there? If none of that is the case for the large groups than id say it was a skinny light barrel for packing possibly a 26in also which means the barrels probably whipping on you like most stock rums do. Mine does it really bad with hot loads cause so much torque is throwing the barrel around.
But my groups are usually first 2 cutting paper and the third is about .75in off in my chosen load.
Once this stock barrel goes out im putting a 28-30in medium bull on it, a custom stock, super extended mag box and the work for it all to go together. Looking very forward to the day I see my rum rocking a full custom build :)